Whats my marital status?

Soldato
This has always bugged me. Ive been living with partner for 6 years now, we are not married. So am I classed as...

Civil partnership
Married
Single
or Common law

Caporegime
Yeah, but if he doesn't have a will? Doesn't it go to your next of kin? Sooooo if she's out of the equation a third would go to each of his three sons? Does she have an entitlement as a common law wife? ;s

It's an important issue... I might have to push her down the stairs, the bint.

If someone dies without a will then the law of intestacy comes into play.

Man of Honour
I thought there was ;s. So what happens when my father dies, if he hasn't got a will? Does his girlfriend get anything? (They've lived together for more than ten years...)

Q1 He will be INTESTATE

Q2 If there is a surviving spouse or partner but no children, then the former will automatically receive all personal chattels, along with the first £200,000 of the estate and half of the value of the remainder. The rest will fall to the parents of the deceased or, if they are dead, to the deceased individual's brothers and sisters or their descendants. If, on the other hand, there are surviving children but no spouse or partner, the children will inherit the entire estate. This will be divided equally between them. If one child has already died but is survived by children of their own, they will be entitled to the full value of the share that would have been received by their parents.

Get him to write a will and ask a solicitor about Q2.

Last edited:
Associate
So many people think this common law marriage applies when as said above, it does not exist. People really should write wills if they have any wishes for their money, otherwise as said above it will be intestate.

Soldato
Single.

I remember a story about a pair of very old spinster (I think) sisters who have been living together for years. Due to inheritance tax, if one died, the other would have to sell the house in order to give the 40% (or whatever it is) above the nil rate band to the government. In a married couple or civil partnership - if one dies, the spouse gets everything without being taxed on it, so the house can remain in one piece.

Ah, found it: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2434243.ece

Caporegime
There is however this.

Should someone gets run over by a car, the girlfriend of decease can pursue a civil suit for monies in civil courts against the insurance company of the driver liable in the accident, provided that the girlfriend has been living with the deceased for 2 years WITHOUT breaks up to the date of the accident.

She has however no claim to his estate.

Back
Top Bottom