• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800GTX stuck rediculously underclocked. Is it broke?

Soldato
Hi Gents/Ladies,
Following my recent post (where i got hacked and had ot reformat), upon installing my graphics card drivers and then putting riva tuner on to overclock, i wasnt able to detect any frequencies. I have also tried Ntune and the EVGA one, and none of the programs detect anything other than 0mhz on both core and memory.

If i look onto a monitoring tool it reports that my core is running at around 297mhz and my memory is something stupidly low too (i will post the exact figures when i get home from work).

Is my graphics card stuck in 2d mode? Is it broken? Any ideas? Ive used driver cleaner pro, tried different driver versions (the most up to date full release and the beta ones for farcry2) and still no luck at being able to get my 8800gtx to work at even stock speeds.

I cant take this lag for much longer! HELP!

Thanks in advance

Soldato
You could do with running GPU-Z to see what frequencies it reports. Standard speeds for GTX's is 576 core / 900 ( 1800 ) mem and 1350 shader

EDIT : is it getting enough power, if not you may find the nvidia sentinel has kicked in and reduced the clock speeds.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You could do with running GPU-Z to see what frequencies it reports. Standard speeds for GTX's is 576 core / 900 ( 1800 ) mem and 1350 shader

EDIT : is it getting enough power, if not you may find the nvidia sentinel has kicked in and reduced the clock speeds.

Mine is running a lot slower than that. And in games performance reflects that with serious lag. As i say when i get in from work ill post the exact speeds, reported form GPU Z and the other monitoring tools i have.

As for the power, i havent changed anything, or added anything recently to my PC so i cant see that being an issue. I have a tagan 680watt i think it was.

---------

To go back to the guy who mentioned RMA. Does anyone know what my chances are on going to gainward and asking for a replacement?

Soldato
OP
having looked into the gainward website and the fuss that you have to go through to get an RMA (postage which you have to pay for etc to germany, and then postage back, and proof of purchase) this is no longer an option. It looks like if i cant fix this im gona have to by myself a GTX280, poor me :p

Soldato
8800GTXs don't have 2D clocks, they are power eating monsters :p

I had this after I changed to ...43 drivers, I just uninstalled Rivatuner, then uninstalled the graphics driver, reinstalled said graphics driver then Rivatuner. All is working as before now :)

Man of Honour
Well it says on the gainward site all RMA's etc are done through the seller instead of gainward directly. So your best bet would be to get in touch with overclockers, if you're deffo sure theres something wrong with it.

Soldato
OP
Is the card getting sufficient power? All high-end NV GPUs downclock themselves severely if they don't get enough power. Same if they start overheating.

As i say ive been running this setup for nearly 2 years now and havent changed anything so i cannot imagine it being power related. Additionally it cannot really be heat related as it happens from boot

Associate
Under GPU-Z does it report PCE-E x16 @16 under Bus Interface ?

Also what are the core, shaders and memory clocks for both the bios and current settings ?

Double-check your PC bios too for PCI-E @ 100

Soldato
OP
Under GPU-Z does it report PCE-E x16 @16 under Bus Interface ?

Also what are the core, shaders and memory clocks for both the bios and current settings ?

Double-check your PC bios too for PCI-E @ 100

i must admit i dont understand half of that old chap! When i get home from work (around 5:20) i will post screenshots of GPU-Z. I would much appreciate some feedback then!

Cheers

EDIT: i havent changed anything in the BIOS and this has only just started happening to me post reformat. Im thinking of reformatting again with Vista 64 instead of 32

Soldato
OP
Ok guys heres a pic of GPU-Z. As with the other programs clocks are reported as 0mhz....

gpuz.jpg

Associate
Unfortunatley that does look like a faulty card

If it were me I'd remove drivers one last time, run driversweeper / drivercleaner again and install latest WHQL certified drivers

Then install latest Rivatuner and see what it reports clocks at, If both GPU-Z and Rivatuner still report no clocks then it's gotta be the card surely

Have you a 2nd PC that you could put GTX in and run GPU-Z on that too ? Suppose it's possible your PCI-E slot on motherboard is dicky

Back
Top Bottom