• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870 vs 260 maxcore

Permabanned
Everyone has issues with every type of hardware no matter the brand at some point. Computers just don't work 'perfectly'. Ignore the idiots who start bashing the other company's products, they're just acting like children.

ATi and NV both make good cards and their drivers are of a similar quality, I prefer regular monthly releases, some people aren't bothered, fair enough.

There's nothing 'wrong' with ATi's cards, the real 'problem' or atleast an apparent problem of there being a lot of 4800s with problems, it's to be expected, ATi have outsold NV with the 4800s by an unreal amount, it's only natural to assume that more people would come forward with problems since there's a hell of a lot more cards out there.

I personally don't buy NV, not because I think their products are crap, but I don't agree with the things they do. Like DX10.1 being removed from Assassin's Creed, and so on. So I don't support them by not buying their products, but that's my choice.

I'd recommend you get the 4870 though due to it being faster than the GTX260, I don't entirely know where it stands against the maxcore, as there's a lot of conflicting reports on it being a bit faster and being a bit slower, but either way, I don't think it's not worth the extra asking price of it.

I've got 2 4850s, and yes, I've had a few problems, but they've all been cause by myself, with bios flashing and the drivers not liking the new bios. Outside of messing about with it, I've had no problems.

Associate
Seeing as i have been using ATI crossfire allot longer & more than you i would say your claims about ATI are wrong.

The method that AMD uses to maintain and test their drivers necessitates eliminating some games from testing for extended periods of time. This can sometimes result in games that used to work well with AMD hardware or scale well with CrossFire to stop performing up to par or to stop scaling as well as they should.

That part of what i said is fact, ATI do indeed do that when developing drivers.
And theres a whole lot of people that would also disagree with you, but you know, anyone else experience never matters but your own.... Like the problems myself and many others had/have with the 4xxx cards i'm sure your'll try and play it down. Because regardless of what you say, you are clearly a fanboy, always popping up to defend them...

Last edited:
Soldato
The method that AMD uses to maintain and test their drivers necessitates eliminating some games from testing for extended periods of time. This can sometimes result in games that used to work well with AMD hardware or scale well with CrossFire to stop performing up to par or to stop scaling as well as they should.

That part of what i said is fact, ATI do indeed do that when developing drivers.
And theres a whole lot of people that would also disagree with you. But like the problems myself and many others had/have with the 4xxx cards i'm sure your'll try and play it down. Because regardless of what you say, you are clearly a fanboy, always popping up to defend them...

Your facts about me are wrong as i don't have a 4870 nor have i ever claimed to have owned one ..so its you who has to get your facts straight.
I have quad 3870 & none of my games have become broken.
If you think i have to push my experience with my setup & ati cards over the years aside & bend over to you just so you stop calling me silly names then your sorely mistaken & you must learn to hold your own with out the silly name calling as that is a sign of your own insecurity that your statements are not strong enough on their own & you have to resort to implying someone with a differing view to you has some psychological displacement.

And no im not always popping up to defend but i will pop in when silly over generalising statements are made It, it just happened to be the same members who post them..including you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think "GT_junkie" might agree with me on this, but I find the GTX 260 to be a "slightly" better all round performer than the 4870 512mb. I've had no probs at all with drivers or in various games with either cards, but I think the extra memory on the 260 does help to smooth out gameplay at higher resolutions (even taking into account the extra bandwidth provided by the GDDR5), and the higher minimum fps in game is a definate bonus. At the moment the cost is roughly on par with each other so that shouldn't be a factor in buying either one.
I personally would go for the 260 over 4870 meself from what I've found.

Associate
Hi,

I had different brands from different generations starting from voodoo 1 and so on.

Recently I had 850xt PE -> 1900xtx -> 8800gt at present and in process of change.

Unfortunatlly I have to agree ATI drivers are vbad in comparison to NV - NV relises are reare or often? I do not know becouse i do not have to all works on drivers which I installed 6 months ago with no isiiuses what so ever.

With ATI I had to change them almost every month - I thought it is way it has to be but after 8800gt ATI is no go for me - it is just not worth the hussle.

I loved my ATI cards but NV is getting more love from me at this point.

------------

Also ATi colors are much worse (over stratueted) then NV - if you watch HD content I would not go ATI way.

Now I need to find some nice 260 or 280

Soldato
I do not know becouse i do not have to all works on drivers which I installed 6 months ago with no isiiuses what so ever.

With ATI I had to change them almost every month - I thought it is way it has to be but after 8800gt ATI is no go for me - it is just not worth the hussle.

I think it depends on your definition of "hassle" - I certainly don't find it a problem to wipe drivers and reinstall newer ones, it's a five minute job and it only needs doing once a month.

And you might well find that the drivers you installed 6 months ago will have to be updated eventually.

Also ATi colors are much worse (over stratueted) then NV - if you watch HD content I would not go ATI way.

There's a whole section of CCC dedicated to colour saturation settings and the like.

Soldato
i think as people say its close to call i did not have 260 or 260 maxcore. but i noticed nice boost going from 8800gts g92 512 to 4870 1 gig.

as tute say its probably most about the haste with ati u probably will need update your drivers more often.

but i cant compare them as i did not have 260. but 4870 one good card i say

maybe u should wait for 270. it will be faster then 4870 but not by much i guess but depends on price as well. and yea they probably will be expensive

Associate
There's a whole section of CCC dedicated to colour saturation settings and the like.

M8 I am not advertising any company I am talking about my own experience which with both company was good but NV delivers it better with less overall "huslle".

And coming back to colors - do you really think I do not know that colors can be regulated?

But I will tell you something that you obviously do not know - when calibrating image on your HDTV you use only TV options and you leave Video card on default - otherwise you will be not able to calibrate it properly.

So Ati over stratueted colors are pain in the... in oposition to quiet well calibrated NV options

Associate
M8 I am not advertising any company I am talking about my own experience which with both company was good but NV delivers it better with less overall "huslle".

And coming back to colors - do you really think I do not know that colors can be regulated?

But I will tell you something that you obviously do not know - when calibrating image on your HDTV you use only TV options and you leave Video card on default - otherwise you will be not able to calibrate it properly.

So Ati over stratueted colors are pain in the... in oposition to quiet well calibrated NV options

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10506272#post10506272
Perhaps you should make up your mind. I cannot say I have had issue with colour saturation with any ATI or Nvidia card. Then again I calibrate my displays and never go for cheap panels.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Someone on the forum here was selling there 4870 512mb for £120. Now your not going to get better price for performance than that :)

If you can pick up the 4870 1gb for £200 or under I say go for one of those. I got mine for under £200 :D

As I said before, there is no problem with the drivers. As for updating them monthly, not like you have to. If you have not installed a new game, and happy with performance, no need to update every month. I tend to go have a look at what changes there are from one release to another. If something worth it, I just install them over the ones I have. I have no problems. As far as I know you don't need to uninstall and install new drivers. Its really quick too :)

Soldato

There's an option for that somewhere in the CCC. It's not the saturation options, its somewhere around the AVIVO settings. Basically in newer drivers ATI enable by default some sort of automatic saturation/brightness/contrast adjustment. Like dodgy consumer TVs have a tendency to do to make them look brighter & more attractive on the shop floor. You can disable it fortunately in the CCC.

Someone on the forum here was selling there 4870 512mb for £120. Now your not going to get better price for performance than that :)

Can't compare second hand prices to new prices :p

Associate
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10506272#post10506272
Perhaps you should make up your mind. I cannot say I have had issue with colour saturation with any ATI or Nvidia card. Then again I calibrate my displays and never go for cheap panels.

Haha that is nice find. Yeah that is true - I thought like this at the beginning - changes of what you are used to are always painful but in the end I stand next to what I wrote few post above.

After I bought 8800gt I had a chance to calibrate with calibration hardware my HDTV on both ATI and NV ... NV is closer to standards so calibrating TV is easier on NV - same thing is much more complicated on ATI.

Also my post about differences in colors between 1900xtx and 8800gt is saying basically the same - I wrote in the past that 8800gt was producing washed out colors. Now I can see that not 8800gt was washed out but that 1900xtx was over stratueted.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

I had different brands from different generations starting from voodoo 1 and so on.

Recently I had 850xt PE -> 1900xtx -> 8800gt at present and in process of change.

Unfortunatlly I have to agree ATI drivers are vbad in comparison to NV - NV relises are reare or often? I do not know becouse i do not have to all works on drivers which I installed 6 months ago with no isiiuses what so ever.

I loved my ATI cards but NV is getting more love from me at this point.

------------

Now I need to find some nice 260 or 280

Tbh mate if you don't want or need to upgrade to newer drivers then don't. Just because ati make a driver set every month does not mean that you need to use them so there is no hastle at all its just nice to know that there is a driver every month if you do run into problems. I have had nearly all the cards you have listed and had no problems. With all my ati cards i just use a driver until i need a fix atm i am running cat 8.6 and its been flawless in every game tried on my machine so i just keep it. It always amazes me that people always change driver if they have no problems with the one they have as from my 9800pro-1900xtx-3870 i have had no problems just installing a driver every now and then and playing what i like with no hastle at all.

The fact i do like about ati is if i do need a new driver i know the latest one will come along soon and there will be usually 3-4 newer ones than the one i am using. Think i have atm nearly 5 new ones i can try if i do run into problems.

Back
Top Bottom