• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870 vs 260 maxcore

Soldato
Final8y, would you even notice this issue? I ran 9800GTX SLI on a Phenom @ 3Ghz and got worse performance in-game (outside of benchies) with SLI than a single card. AFAIK the default ATI drivers don't provide a system for checking whether CrossFire is actually enabled or not. I especially doubt you're getting good scaling with FOUR GPUs with that CPU, regardless of driver issues. Worse still the 3000 series has horrible, horrible microstutter in CrossFire.

Not trying to say CrossFire is bad, it's better than SLI now (4000 series CF is uber). Just pointing out that just because you haven't noticed it - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You have taken his quote out of context.
which should read thisThe method that AMD uses to maintain and test their drivers necessitates eliminating some games from testing for extended periods of time. This can sometimes result in games that used to work well with AMD hardware or scale well with CrossFire to stop performing up to par or to stop scaling as well as they should.
And is a entirely different question in that regard as i have not seen a performance drop in crossfire with newer drivers in any game from what they were & have only seen improvements.

As to your question there is a system check & i notice instantly if its not enabled.
The scaling is not all that after 3 GPU,s but its enough to hold me at 120fps capped or 60fps Vsync till the 5870 series, as i tend to bunny hop & jump on the refresh as its closer to the one before & tends to have less bugs.
got 1900xtCF, jumped the 2900xt, got the 3870, jumped the 4870.

Last edited:
Soldato
How did I take it out of context? I took one specific issue so we could can focus 'be specific' as you like to say. It was irrelevant to the whole issue since I wasn't referring to drivers at all - I was getting to the route of the problem. You claim to be all-knowing about CrossFire and are positive it works 100% of the time, and no driver has ever broken it or reduced its effectiveness.

My argument (being 'specific') is that there is no way you could make that kind of statement. You don't play every game, you wouldn't even notice if the fps dropped a few frames - no one would. Of course the converse is true, there is no way you can guarantee that one game will have issues. Unfortunately, user posts on other forums seems to show ATI drivers (as do NV drivers) break older games with new driver releases. I know many Counter Strike players have been very displeased with both NV and ATI at various times.

I appreciate the intention to defend ATI giving your ATI history, but take a step back. This 'being specific' obsession is trying to avoid/dodge the issue. You've had no issues, good, fine. But accept that others do, even with the glorious 3870 CrossFire.

Soldato
How did I take it out of context? I took one specific issue so we could can focus 'be specific' as you like to say. It was irrelevant to the whole issue since I wasn't referring to drivers at all - I was getting to the route of the problem. You claim to be all-knowing about CrossFire and are positive it works 100% of the time, and no driver has ever broken it or reduced its effectiveness.

My argument (being 'specific') is that there is no way you could make that kind of statement. You don't play every game, you wouldn't even notice if the fps dropped a few frames - no one would. Of course the converse is true, there is no way you can guarantee that one game will have issues. Unfortunately, user posts on other forums seems to show ATI drivers (as do NV drivers) break older games with new driver releases. I know many Counter Strike players have been very displeased with both NV and ATI at various times.

I appreciate the intention to defend ATI giving your ATI history, but take a step back. This 'being specific' obsession is trying to avoid/dodge the issue. You've had no issues, good, fine. But accept that others do, even with the glorious 3870 CrossFire.

You did take it out of context as it was about performance crossfire dropping from where it was before with newer drivers & you then quoted it to look like to just crossfire scaling not working when it was before.

I never claimed to know all about crossfire & you will never find a quote saying so from me.

I said i have never seen game performance drop with newer drivers & that means my games on my setup & i have always maintained that i was talking about my experience & not others & example are on OcUK that even on the same game that some people gain & some people lose depending on their set-up.

I have never said that crossfire works 100% either in this thread or any other.

I have not noticed ageneral fps drop & in my games with newer drivers & if it needs a counter to notice then its of no issue.

i have no obsession with being specific, he was generalising his 4XXX experience with ALL ATI cards until he was specific.

Your link & miccrostutter was not the topic of what me & MR.B was talking about & is already a known fact.

I have a lady coming around so i will be back later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom