• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How hot is too hot?

Soldato
If it starts artefacting, then its too hot. Otherwise it's fine. There is no 'right' temperature, it depends on what the IC and packaging are designed to run it - which obviously varies from card to card.

Soldato
Good to know. I'll have to hold myself back with overclocking. I always want to go that one little step further :(

with such cards these days if you want to overclock then the cooler needs replacing. Call it sinisism but its almost as though manufactures design the stock cooler so minimum overclock can be done hence prompting you to buy an aftermarket cooler to keep them in business !

:p

Soldato
powercolorpcshd4670512mqc5.jpg

Wanted a nice and quiet card so went for the PowerColor PCS HD4670. PCS is meant to stand for Professional Cooling system so I was a bit suprised when I checked the card in to tbe RiVatuner clinic and ran Furtest!

108°C load! . . . WTF!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Touched the card and nearly burnt off half my body, so far beyond scorching its not funny! :(

Took the card apart to see what was going on, huge big splodge of TIM?

powercolorpcshd4670512mjy3.jpg

powercolorpcshd4670512mpf2.jpg

Cleaned off the factory TIM with a shovel and carefully applied some fresh paste and did a test fit, when I held the card up I could see a faint chink of light shining through still when held up to the light . . .

powercolorpcshd4670512mkj9.jpg

Did a test fit and made sure there was plenty of pressure then took the card apart again and it seems the heatsink still wasn't making good contact with the GPU core!

powercolorpcshd4670512msx9.jpg

Seems to be almost a design flaw with the heatsink base, it should have a protrusion/embossed base that touchs the GPU but no? Had to apply a jam sandwich amount of TIM to fill the gap and get the card working again, I dunno! :confused:

Moral of the story is, not all cards have good heatsinks and not all cards have had the heatsinks TIM applied correctly!

78°C load after TIM redone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom