• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best card purely for folding at the mo?

Soldato
Seems like a lot of people missed the point of F@H. It is for scientific research as explained, and the leaderboard is just an encouragement. I don't personally fold just to get to a higher position on the board, but those who do might be sad for some but at least they are making considerable contribution to the cause which is what it's all about.

Soldato
A forum I mod for has tried to get me to fold in the past; they've tried the guilt trip route; "if you don't help us you don't care about people with cancer!" and they've tried the "we're losing places on the leaderboard, we need help!" route, and neither of them work. I simply cannot be bothered with it. Fair enough if it actually did help medicine, but it doesn't, and 95% of the people who do it only do so because of the competition.

Still, each to his own.

Soldato
A forum I mod for has tried to get me to fold in the past; they've tried the guilt trip route; "if you don't help us you don't care about people with cancer!" and they've tried the "we're losing places on the leaderboard, we need help!" route, and neither of them work. I simply cannot be bothered with it. Fair enough if it actually did help medicine, but it doesn't, and 95% of the people who do it only do so because of the competition.

Still, each to his own.
Blackmail and chasing others on the leaderboard is not what it's about, it just happens to come with it. Though, corruption and all that tends to come with anything.

It dosen't help curing diseases it's a load of crap end of
Go to the Stanford site and have a look at the reports and projects that have made use of the folding projects results, quite a few. Your blunt statement is just simply wrong.

Soldato
The leaderboard, is just a bit of friendly competition that comes with folding, the main purpose as lay-z-boy has mentioned is helping Stanford with extra computing power :)

Soldato
I wonder if they removed the leaderboard how many people would continue to fold? ;)

I find that an intresting idea as well. While some of you may do it just for the good of research, im sure there are still some who kid them selves when really they find them selves checkig that leaderboard oftern :p

But at least its for a good cause. Better then the people spending their life trying to beat pacman scores!

I actually use my old rigs that I can't be bothered to sell off for folding. For example my old desktop; [email protected]/p5k/4gb/2*8800gtx was going spare and as I've taken my server to uni with me, I set it up at home as a torrentbox/tversity server that folds as well.

Keeps my room warm for when I return every other weekend. :D

lol using it to keep your room warm over the weekend. What you need is a reptile which requires heating and all that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought the new ATI cards with their TFLOPs of computing power would be great for this. Is it down to software/driver issues?

NV's GPUs are more general-purpose and especially the new GT200 series, designed for this kind of app. Through CUDA, you can use an NV GPU just like a CPU, whereas with ATI you're stuck with DirectX (or OGL) and an unoptimised path designed to go one way, not two.

Additionally ATI follows a vector layout where each SP is actually made up of 5 multiple smaller weaker units - of which only one is general purpose. In essence unless the application can make use of the other 4 units, the number of SPs of actual use decreases from 800 to 160. In reality some of the other units can be used some of the time, but not all, so the end result is a much slower F@H cruncher. The devs are working on a different client for the ATI arch to leverage more of it.

Soldato
I admit it, I check the statistics pages at least once a day and I care enormously that I'm wringing the last point per day out of my systems. It's my own company's money I'm wasting, and I honestly don't care if anyone thinks I'm sad, lonely, need to get out more etc. The fact is that I have some seriously sexy hardware, and this is as good a way as any of maxing out every little bit of it.The most inefficient PC is one that's switched on and doing nothing eg. running a single core playing a game, watching a DVD or something.

Permabanned
I dont buy stuff FOR folding, but i figure that I have a 260 gtx overclocked and an e5200 also overclocked, and very decent ram also overclocked, and i leave my pc on all day on utorrent, so why waste the electricity on NOT folding ?

Back
Top Bottom