headphone amps in uk

Soldato
i have a fiio e3 and soon an e5 but as this has sparked an interest in getting even better sound just wondering what portable amps you have or would recommend would like better than cmoy or pa2v2

Associate
My Pico was shipped to me from America just a couple of days ago so I am expecting it next week sometime. I was on the waiting list for three months and I know it will be worth it.

Soldato
OP
My Pico was shipped to me from America just a couple of days ago so I am expecting it next week sometime. I was on the waiting list for three months and I know it will be worth it.

seems like one of the top rated amps 499 usd with the dac or 329 without plus possible taxes ? sounds very nice , may have to start a little cheaper having just bought my ultrasones but going by what im hearing now i would never question anybody about spending large amounts on audio its very adictive maybe i will buy the edition 9s in a year or 2:)

Soldato
OP
looking at the ibassos at the moment, they seem to get good reveiws but afew problems as well , tbh not even sure if i realy need an amp its just the way the e3 enhances my ultrasones ,its sort of got me interested in the ultimate sound i mean ive started listening to all sorts of music i never did before like jazz and classical:)

Associate
Sorry I’m novice myself and just started to build my tube desktop rig, so can’t be much of help. Here is review of portable amps MINI-REVIEW of 10 USB DAC amps
Predator and Pico probably as good as some of the top solid state desktop amps but they cost quite a bit. Ibasso heron you can roll opams, in python you can’t but it’s got DAC and line out. If you search ibasso on headfi forum there is a lot of info

Associate
my pico will be integrated into these two set-ups when it arrives in a few days:

Thinkpad x200 with ATH-ESW10JPN or ESW9

esw10jpn9.jpg

esw10jpn8.jpg

Cowon D2 with ATH-ESW10JPN

esw106.jpg

The ESW10JPN is limited edition (1000units) just came out in late October and has just about sold out now in Japan I think. They best the ESW9 considerably on every front and now are being considered the king of the portables. I absolutely love them

Soldato
I use an Ibasso T1 to power my Yuin P1s as no Ipod or simliar can drive them. The sound difference is immense and the tiny little box makes a world of difference. I like that it recharges from a usb cable.

Soldato
OP
my pico will be integrated into these two set-ups when it arrives in a few days:

The ESW10JPN is limited edition (1000units) just came out in late October and has just about sold out now in Japan I think. They best the ESW9 considerably on every front and now are being considered the king of the portables. I absolutely love them

wow an amazing setup, I have the cowon d2 with the ultrasone hfi780s often regarded as being harsh on the treble but i think the fiio tames that a little so maybe a darkish amp would suit me ,there are some albums like urban hymns where the sibilance does stand out on some tracks(but it does on the px100 and ksc 75 as well) but knocking the eq down can help this plus nowhere near burnt in

Soldato
i've currently got a Ray Samuels Audio Tomahawk and a Xin Supermicro IV but will offload the RSA as i'm barely using it anymore.

the Xin is incredible for it's size :p

Soldato
customer service isn't one of Xin's strong points to be honest but his products are good value and sound amazing.

i waited about 3mths for my Supermicro IV to arrive - a lot less time than some ppl too :p

Associate
As the OP asked about headphone amps in the UK, I thought it might be worth mentioning Graham Slee's Voyager, see this review...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2008/01/23/Graham-Slee-Voyager-Headphone-Amplifier/p1

At £179.00 new, this may be higher than the poster's budget, but Graham Slee is a highly respected British engineer whose products get rave reviews. I use a Graham Slee SOLO green with my Audio Technica W5000s and regard them as a match made in heaven, bass that you can feel as well as hear, a great soundstage and mids to die for. I can hear the minutist detail of the music at a low volume setting (nine o clock on the SOLO volume) or wind it to max at 5 0 clock on the dial with no discernable distortion. However I could'nt wear them at this level without scrambling my brain.

If you're after great sound I'd recommend that you read a few reviews of the Voyager and consider supporting a talented and respected British designer and manufacturer. I can't help loving Japanese headphones:)

Associate
hah! I am quite good at babying my equipment, so I should be able to stay below the scratch radar indefinitely!

There are barely any 10JPNs left on the market now as only 1000 were made. Audiocubes state 6 left on the market, not sure whether that it just their own stock or the actual remainder on the whole market. They are SO worth it.

Associate
Those headphones look gorgeous in your rather posey pics :p ;)

I am really tempted by the 10's but can't really justify that expense with the exchange rate as it is at the moment.

Imagine getting your first scratch on the lovely wood finish though :eek:

So whose the poseur? You seem to be itching to get some of these cans simply on the basis of their looks rather than on any thoughts about their sound. As an Audio Technica enthusiast I'd assume that they sound great. I agree that devilkazuya's cans look terrific but so does a crystal chandelier. I'd love to own both but would wear neither in the street for fear that the rough kids would take the **** out of me:D

Soldato
OP
think ive missed a big point though, the d2 hasnt a line out so any amping would be done from the headphone socket so really i will just be amplifing any shortcomings the d2 amplifier may have wouldnt i ? whereas an ipod with a lod then amp would be pure digital info only?

Back
Top Bottom