Quick Quake 2 (!) question

Associate
I've recently reinstalled it on my Vista 64 desktop after years of neglect. One thing is puzzling me though, the music track on each level doesn't seem to loop. It runs its course, usually about five minutes, and then all I can hear are the environmental sound effects, myself, enemies and gunfire.

I may be mistaken but I'm sure I can recall the soundtrack being on a loop in my long gone Win 98/Me days. Has this always been the case?

Associate
OP
Yeah, I've tried that and it stops what little there is of the soundtrack.

So I found this:

For the command to be available the CD-ROM drive has to be idle at the time that Quake 2 starts, or else this command will be disabled.

Idle? Empty? Taking that route, when I start the game minus the disc and enter the command in the console (cd loop) I am told there is no cd present.

Anybody?

Associate
Inspired by this post, I reached for a battered copy of Quake 2.:)

It loops OK on XP, the CD needs to be in the drive though, and also make sure the CD Music is enabled in the options menu.

The only line in the config that seems to refer to it is:

set cd_nocd "0"

Think I shall tweak it and see if anybody still plays online.:)

Soldato
I remember playing Quake 2 on the High School computers, a group of us would take turns and have little mini-leagues.

Truly superb MP, great fun. :D

Associate
OP
Don't forget the FANTASTIC soundtrack too :D

Have it blaring through my speakers at the moment, or what little of it there is, hence the reason for this thread unfortunately :(

Anybody know of any good hi-res texture patches knocking about?

Best I can find is this one....

fnv71g.jpg

dfg6dy.jpg

9jdb0k.jpg

Not bad but there must be better about.

*Oh yeah, thanks for checking WoZZeR. I was as sure as I could be that this is a Vista compatibility problem. Anyway, doesn't matter. Taking delivery of my yummy Antec Fusion htpc this week and will be putting XP on it.

Associate
No worries, I've had a good night of multiplayer, plenty of servers out there still.:)

Nice texture pack, very smooth, url please if I may?

Yeah, I started my online gaming with Wireplay, decent bunch of chaps used to play on there, met a few at some of the early lans at Newbury.

Jeez, I feel old.

Anyone still play Quake? I got it free with a Windows 95 upgrade!! :)

Soldato
Does anyone still connect that ancient cable from burner to soundcard these days? :p

I think when I first got Quake 2 I was still using a passthrough cable from my Voodoo 1 to my mobo graphics. Good times.

Best mod for Quake 2 was Action Quake. Of course, QWTF is still the overall win, but AQ2 was pretty damn good.

Associate
Hehehehe, I had a 28800 modem, which is still knocking about somewhere!!

And when I went from the rubbish Matrox Mystique to a Voodoo 3 2000 I was amazed at the graphics!!

I still have my old Hercules GeForce II GTS in an old PC. Used to fly through Q3.

Oh, and my lan PC was a clocked Celeron 333 !! :cool:

Soldato
Oh oh, and remember that bit when you took out one of the power cells and all the lights faded and went to red? I actually remember saying 'wow'. Coloured lighting! Eeee.
I seem to have regressed to about 10 here.

Associate
Hehehehe, it was very impressive back then, as was the amosphere in the later sections with the prisoners and cells. :)

Mind you, Unreal blew me away too, that was awesome for it's time.

Associate
I used to play RA2 on Wireplay, Jolt and Barrysworld servers through 1999-2001. Gaming still hasn't come close to those times since and probably never will. Deus Ex and Baldurs Gate both came out in that period too and those are my favourite single player games of all time. The good old days

Associate
Quake 2 Threewave Capture the Flag was the height of online gaming. After that, it all went downhill with online cheats etc. I gave up online gaming after Kingpin had it's day.

Back
Top Bottom