My Dad needs a new TV/Monitor for his Kitchen

Right guys,

My dad has just had a new kitchen fitted... he wants a tele for it but nothing over 24".

He was looking to spend about £250 for the tele/monitor max and then whatever on the rest of the equipment.

Basically he was looking at a 19" Samsung for £180. The thing is he either wants freeview or a splitter for his Sky + Box.

I saw a 24" Monitor with a res. of 1920 x 1200 or one with a res of 1920 x 1080 and thought it would be better picture on a freeview box via HDMI or on a splitter for the Sky Box.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or spec me a decent monitor.

Oh ideally one with built in speakers but not to fussed as i can buy some and wall mount them.

Soldato
I would recommend a TV with integral Freeview tuner and speakers for a Kitchen, you don't want multiple remotes, boxes and extra cabling in a Kitchen environment.

A 19-22" Samsung LCD would be ideal. Tesco have a Technika branded panel at around £200 with DVD player which doesn't seem to fair to badly in reviews at the moment, no idea which panel they use but I will probably get one this week, well the GF will for her room, so I'll post up on what it's like.

I would give up buying a a TV based on the resolution figures.

Last edited:
Associate
We've just had a Samsung T200HD and ive been very impressed with it. £199 in most places too!

SAMSUNG-T200HD.jpg

Soldato
OP
I would recommend a TV with integral Freeview tuner and speakers for a Kitchen, you don't want multiple remotes, boxes and extra cabling in a Kitchen environment.

A 19-22" Samsung LCD would be ideal. Tesco have a Technika branded panel at around £200 with DVD player which doesn't seem to fair to badly in reviews at the moment, no idea which panel they use but I will probably get one this week, well the GF will for her room, so I'll post up on what it's like.

I would give up buying a a TV based on the resolution figures.

The thing is. The tele is in the corner and out of the way of everything. The kitchen hasnt been finished yet and its still got no plaster on the walls. I was thinking of getting an RF out and taking it from the SKY + box and putting it into the back of a 24" FULL HD monitor/LCD tele. Or if thats not possible, then somehow getting a picture from the Sky + box to the monitor via HDMI???

Associate
You could get a wireless remote sender and send the Sky signal to the LCD without the need for wires.

I do not have Sky+ so do not know what connections it has but I’ve connected my cable box to my LCD via an up-scaling Amp.

My set up; DVD player and HTPC connected to my Amp via HMDI and cable box connected via composite (this is all under the stairs) connected to my 32” LCD in the living room via a 15m HDMI cable (under the floor and in the wall) . I also have a 10m HMDI cable and DVI cable running to my monitor in the dinning room. I’m thinking about replacing the monitor with one of the Samsung T2400HD’s as this has built in freeview and is good as a TV and monitor, plus it has all the connections you could every need (HMDI, DVI etc). You can buy a wall mount from Samsung.

So while you have not plastered the walls install as many cables as possible.

Back
Top Bottom