"Proper" Music + Gaming Headphone Advice Needed

Soldato
I'm looking for some headphones to use for music and gaming, so no rubbish with a mic attached ;)

People always seem to recommend the HD555/HD959/DR150 etc, but I like my music and games to have some bass etc, and I have seen a couple of people complaining about the lack of bass etc from the above.

The headphones will be driven from a Audigy 2 ZS through a sony Hifi or Xfi Xtreme Music through a set of Z5500. I want to be able to hear the full potential of the headphones with needing a headphone amp etc.

Budget is below £80, but whatever suits me best will be considered :)

Cheers

Soldato
Plugging anything into the headphone jack on the z5500 is a bad idea, horrible circuitry in the signal path there.

Senns are great, and may I suggest getting a dedicated headphones amp with them, helps out nicely. 595 are great to star with though.

Associate
I've a pair of HD595's and am more than happy with the bass that it supplies. I guess it's all a question of preference and what is satisfactory to you, however I did have a shoddy pair of Raptor headphones (with attached mic :p).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice, yeah the PC350 are the only pair worth looking at with an attacked mic. Im just concerned about bass levels as I have a pair of PMX 100 and they are amazing, so much bass, and then I bought some PMX 200 that claim to have better bass etc; but they are infact rubbish.

Any more HD 555 + HD 595 owners, care to give their opinions :)

These are to be taken from house to house etc, so ideally I don't won't a headphone amp to lug around.

Permabanned
Sennheiser HD595, GREAT pair of phones! Don't need an amp at all (I barely use my headphone amp). Bass seems good to me, but I don't really have anything to compare them to. I've never thought that the bass was low on anything though.

Xonar gives them oomph nicely, should be fine for you.

Wouldn't bother with PC350, not "proper" headphones, just get an "elara clip-on microphone" (Google) and clip it behind your monitor like I do.

Soldato
OP
Sennheiser HD595, GREAT pair of phones! Don't need an amp at all (I barely use my headphone amp). Bass seems good to me, but I don't really have anything to compare them to. I've never thought that the bass was low on anything though.

Xonar gives them oomph nicely, should be fine for you.

Wouldn't bother with PC350, not "proper" headphones, just get an "elara clip-on microphone" (Google) and clip it behind your monitor like I do.

Excellent, that's what I was wanting to hear :D

Soldato
OP
The Goldring's are great. I have a set myself paired up with my Xonar D2.

If you are heavily into bass you may be a little disappointed but I think they are great.

:eek: :( Why did you have to say that :(

Although saying that, this is my first "venture" in to the expensive headphones market so hopefully they will be good, used to Creative Fatality (spelling?!?) headset that I borrowed off my brother for a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Certainly not disappointed with the bass on my HD555s. Depends on the source, right now for the sake of this thread I'm listening to Pendulum with the headphones being driven from my Cambridge Audio Azur 340se amp. Bass is more than adequate when turned up on the amp/mp3 player.

By default though they are less bassy than my speaker setup, they're more balanced. That isn't to say they can't handle oodles of bass :)

I'd imagine your Goldrings will be in a similar position.

Soldato
OP
They came :D

I'm really pleased with them, and the bass is fine. The headband is a bit tight, but I'm sure that it'll loosen a bit with some use. They are very comfy, and they sound soooo much better then those creative things I was using before :)

Back
Top Bottom