Anyone getting dreadful speeds with BT right now?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well 2nd day in a row now iv been down to 10-15k from 1.7 meg.

and il bet that come midnight its back up to 1.7 meg.

guess il be gone from BT sooner than later as this is a joke.

Permabanned
Was cut off today from my Telewest/NTL/Virgin Media connection 7 years I have been with them but £37 is to expensive for just internet, going with BT ADSL its painfully slow compared to cable but my dad gets the top package for free so £37 vs £0, the £0 won, I will resign up maybe next year but just to expensive at the moment.

Sel

Sel

Associate
Well they have moved me onto the max circuit, i am now connected at 3mb, speed tests suggesting just over 2mb actual DL speed.... much better. :)

Have they offered any compensation, I'd also check to make sure they haven't put you on a new contract.

Associate
Mine sucks after 6 too, youtube is impossible to watch, and so is anything with a vid in it. BT unlimited opt3. Can barely game at night, let alone watch anything.

Could probably leech my neighbours wi-fi and get better speeds!

Soldato
downsfw6.jpg

VirginMedia Adsl 8Meg Service Rocks, 860kb for me.

Associate
Can't say that helps us BT folk much, but nice speeds anyways.Well i've called and been hung up on, and tried again, and never got called back.This is shocking, and it looks like BT will be losing a customer.

Caporegime
Before pointing the finger at BT, check your sync rate (your modem will show this, probably call it connection speed or something) and IP profile (BT Speedtest shows this). BT Retail can't affect these, but if they're abnormally low they'll bugger your download speeds.

While we're at it, speedtest.net is garbage - ThinkBroadband's is apparently more accurate, but kicking off several large downloads from a known-good site (MS.com, Zen Support, or maybe mirror.ac.uk) at the same time and adding the averages should give a better measure of what your connection's good for.

Last off if you don't have anything useful to add, hit the back button. That includes the people posting from work leased lines and other connections that aren't with BT...

Caporegime
Yeah - it says you're connected at full rate (8128kbps), which means you should be on the 7200kbps IP profile and so get ~900kB/s.

SNR margin's very high (which is not a bad thing), and attenuation's low (which also isn't bad). The number of CRC errors looks extremely high (~100k a second), but the Home Hub is a rebadged Thompson so I expect the counters are crap...

Caporegime
Without knowing your IP profile it's probable but not guaranteed - BT Retail do traffic shape. At the end of the day you have to accept you won't get full rate at peak time without handing over four figures a month.

The point I was making was everyone was posting a speedtest.net result and saying "OMG, BT ARE SHAPING ME!!!!1111one", without making sure it isn't one of the other dozen things that would screw with the result.

Sel

Sel

Associate
Tolien that's a good point about downloading several files at the same time, I did that myself, I could still max out my bandwidth limit or quite close to it even at peak times.
All the files seemed to be limited though to a maximum of 60K/bs

As for speed.net being garbage I use it and have found it to be quite accurate.
Thinkbroadband gives me a bit less speed.

Speedtesters should be used as an indication of speed, ie if it's down by half it needs investigating further.

My Sync and throughput should have given download speeds of 350k/bs - 400k/bs.
When the Speeds dropped to 60k/bs and then 20k/bs 24/7 I contacted BT and went through all the usual stuff. after calling them it went back to 60k/bs at peak times but I never got my full speed back even after midnight.

After switching to O2 which is the same line same filters and same PC my speeds have been rock solid even at peak times.

After checking many forums it's clear that no ISP is perfect they all have some users getting awful speeds at times.

Soldato
have the same problem i have 3 mb . download speed is fine but in past few days in some game servers were i used to get ping around 30's i get 100. any idea how to fix it ?

Back
Top Bottom