Is this Spyware? Desperately need help please......

Associate
Hi,

I really need your help/advice please...
My XP PC rebooted itself the other night and came back with this error which I made a quick note:

----------------------------------------------------
Spybot
Categpry: System Satrtup Global Entry
Change: Value added
Entry: KernalFaultCheck
----------------------------------------------------

At which point I didn't know whether to accept or deny and now I'm totally lost as to what I need to do.

I have a few questions/comments which hopefully someone can explain:

- it appears that AVG (free version) no longer works. I tried to launch it manually, no luck
- I did an Ad-aware full scan and picked up a few viruses(?) which I deleted
- the PC seems unusable now and do not want to launch IE as AVG was not working
- am I able to backup my files to an Ext HDD with the PC in it's current stateand before trying to solve the fault?
- will I still need to install other programs?
- if so, are the free versions OK or do I benefit from purchasing them?
- what is the solution? step by step please as I haven't got a clue what to do

Many thanks in advance.

Caporegime
Try installing a different antivirus product such as Avast.

Also install Spybot SSD.

If you're worried about your existing files, by all means back them up although there is no guarantee they will be virus/spyware free.

I would also run msconfig and remove all items from startup before you proceed. Click on start - run, type msconfig and press enter. Go to the startup tab, remove all and reboot.

Associate
OP
Thanks gillywibble for your feedback.

So...

- do I have to install Avast (free version) first and then later on de-install AVG?
- I assumed I already had Spybot SSD already installed as it was a Spybot error? I'll have to check as I can't remember (I'm typing this from work's laptop).
- the majority of my files are pictures from my digital camera. Can jpeg's get infected? Is it worth waiting to backup after Avast is operational?
- if I followed you advice about Avast and Spybot SSD installs, is that all is required to get the PC operational again?
- do you know what the error means and why it messed up my PC?

Thanks a lot.

Associate
OP
Thanks OCdude,

OK, if I do the online scan before anything else, then do I carry on as per gillywibble's advice above?

Does the Eset online version scan & then clean viruses or scan and just notfiy what viruses are present without further action?

Also, as an aside, does malware have anything to do with my initial problem?

Soldato
The Eset online scan will remove any threat it finds (it will give you the full details when it's finished).

Can't be certain if malware is the culprit of the original problem.. but if the online scan doesn't find anything, i'd be pretty certain that you're clean (although obviously you can never be 100% sure!)

Associate
OP
Hi again,

OK, I have done the following as advised by OC members and it appears to have sorted out my problems:

- I ran the online scan (www.eset.com/onlinescan) first
- then installed a different antivirus product - Avast
- then installed/upgraded Spybot SSD
- finally ran msconfig and remove all items from startup
- uninstalled AVG antivirus

Can you please give me feedback with all the points below:

- I guess this is a better time to backup my files now that my PC is clean ?
- I've got Comodo Firewall and Ad-ware on my PC, is there any other applications I need to install ?
- I have the above "free" versions installed but would I benefit from buying the "better"/professional versions ?
- Any other useful PC advice ?

Thanks to OCdude & gillywibble for their superb advice so far.
Don't know what I would have done without you, I can't believe my PC is operational again :)

Cheers.

Soldato
Comodo is an awesome firewall... i've switched from using ZoneAlarm Pro (not free).

I'd gladly pay for a NOD32 subscription, well worth it imo (btw version 4 is currently in beta, so it might be waiting for a bit!)

I'd also strongly advice using a browser other than IE, along with some good popup blocking addons (i personally use Firefox with AdBlock Plus - and i can honestly say i've not had any spyware in years!)

Caporegime
Hi again,

OK, I have done the following as advised by OC members and it appears to have sorted out my problems:

- I ran the online scan (www.eset.com/onlinescan) first
- then installed a different antivirus product - Avast
- then installed/upgraded Spybot SSD
- finally ran msconfig and remove all items from startup
- uninstalled AVG antivirus

Can you please give me feedback with all the points below:

- I guess this is a better time to backup my files now that my PC is clean ?
- I've got Comodo Firewall and Ad-ware on my PC, is there any other applications I need to install ?
- I have the above "free" versions installed but would I benefit from buying the "better"/professional versions ?
- Any other useful PC advice ?

Thanks to OCdude & gillywibble for their superb advice so far.
Don't know what I would have done without you, I can't believe my PC is operational again :)

Cheers.

Install Spyware Blaster, asap.

Associate
OP
OK, I will install Spyware Blaster tonight. Thanks.

I'll take a look at NOD32 website for more info. Thanks

Yes, I've had no problems with Comodo.

OK, backup will be done tonight.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
As advised, I have now backed up my HDD and also installed Spyware Blaster.

Anything else I need to know/should do?

Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped me.

Soldato
If you're running good AV, a good firewall, preferably not using IE, keep Windows up-to-date and have made a backup, I'd keep it at that... there's only so many bits of malware removing software you can install before it gets OTT! :)

(One last bit of software i'd recommend though, is Acronis True Image, for backing up data/making HDD images/Cloning etc)

But yeah, you're pretty much good to go!

Back
Top Bottom