F1 2009 Season discussion/development thread

Caporegime
Absolutely stupid idea - but you know what, thats exactly why it WILL be implemented in the near future

a lot less likely that wins will be shared by team-mates, 2nd driver will have a lot less incintive to push, and even Constructors championship would be known relatively early in the season (without major technical DNF's)

I thought Bernie didnt want McLaren/Hamilton to win the DWC but this is pretty extreme

It also seems like a bit of a sore attempt to discredit Lewis Hamilton's championship win last year, "under the new rules Massa would have been world champion" etc. :rolleyes:

They should be focusing on increasing competition throughout the grid not just the podium.

Last edited:
Soldato
It also seems like a bit of a sore attempt to discredit Lewis Hamilton's championship win last year, "under the new rules Massa would have been world champion" etc. :rolleyes.

That too - but then he would have won in 2007 wouldnt he?

They should be focusing on increasing competition throughout the grid not just the podium.

Certainly true

Last edited:

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

The question is can Lewis go 9 straight golds next year and beat Phelps?

Utterly ridiculous, Motorsport is about points.

Permabanned
1st - 15pts
2nd - 10
3rd - 7
4th - 5
5th - 4
6th - 3
7th - 2
8th - 1

Pole - 3
Fastest Lap - 3

How about a point for finishing the race?

Associate
1st - 15pts
2nd - 10
3rd - 7
4th - 5
5th - 4
6th - 3
7th - 2
8th - 1

Pole - 3
Fastest Lap - 3

How about a point for finishing the race?

Sounds better than gold, silver and bronze, drivers outside the top 8 shouldn't get any points for themselves or constucter, gives the teams something to go for to get the bonus money at the end of the season.

Permabanned
Soldato
Reverse grid based on Overall Championship points would be miles better tbh :p
That will really mix things up!

Best times in qualification get some points!

if things are going to change they need to change in a way that will bring about more excitement. Not some of the crappy ideas that seem to be coming from the Teams and Bernie

Soldato
Reverse grid based on Overall Championship points would be miles better tbh :p
They tried a similar principle in WRC this year with the overnight leader taking to the road first and thus being disadvantaged by having to clear the way (on loose surfaces anyway).

This was criticised as being deliberately introduced to kerb Loeb's dominance and still failed to achieve this goal.

Penalising the successful in a meritocracy such as F1 goes fundamentally against the grain IMHO.

Soldato
They tried a similar principle in WRC this year with the overnight leader taking to the road first and thus being disadvantaged by having to clear the way (on loose surfaces anyway).

This was criticised as being deliberately introduced to kerb Loeb's dominance and still failed to achieve this goal.

Penalising the successful in a meritocracy such as F1 goes fundamentally against the grain IMHO.

I thought the leaders always went first in the WRC anyway?

As to it being against the idea of F1 to punish the successful, I agree entirely. But I'd rather do that, and have the prospect of a huge amount of overtaking. Than have medals :p

Soldato
What grain? Most people would agree that BTCC is an exciting championship most of the time. They have the third race with a reversed top ten. It just means the successful have to do a bit more work to continue their success, as the less successful have to work hard to get anywhere.
They need to find incentives for the people at the back to try to move up. At the moment teams like Honda and Force India qualify at the back, race at the back, and finish at the back, most of the time having given up hope of moving up by about mid race.

Soldato
Interesting:

Drivers will be allowed to make two wing adjustments per lap, altering the wing angle over a six-degree range.

So you could modify your car as you go round for different sections of the track that would require more/less wing?

Soldato
As a demonstration of how stupid Bernie's system is, the tremendous 2003 season which went down to the final race of the year would've been done and dusted by the Hungarian GP if medals were in place.

All this is basically doing is making it highly likely the championship will not get to the final race of the season. Something which was a reason for implementing the 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 points system in the first place. Also, the idea that all the teams are behind it is absurd, why would anyone outside of the top 3 teams want this system? It completely screws them over.

Brilliant job of paraphrasing the BBC, go to the top of the plagarised opinions class.;)

Caporegime
Yes that's it. Although I hope its most significant use will be to making slipstreaming easier and giving more overtaking.

I cant see this working though. Because if you are going to flatten your wing to get extra speed down the striaght, your can count on the guy infront of you doing exactly the same, and therefore there will be no advantage... The only artificial way to overtake in F1 next year will be with the A1GP style boost button from the KERS systems, but there are 2 problems I can see with this:

1) Watching a car drive pas another in a straight line because one is on boost is not exciting to watch (see A1GP for reference)
2) KERS is going to electrocute every body!

Soldato
Yeh the car in front will most likely do it, but they might not, as they may want to save the wing for later in the lap - or to get back in front.
As far as I know the guy with lesser wing will also be getting a much better quality slipstream than normal (if the guy in front lessens his wing I imagine that might cause even less disruption and an even better slipstream for the guy behind)

As to KERs, I believe it does give a boost via a button?

1) - Better than nothing at all :p
2) - Maybe an electric shock will persuade some of the drivers to push a little harder *cough* Kimi *cough*

Back
Top Bottom