Original Apogee block any good for quad core?

Man of Honour
I've got a Q9450 arriving shortly. I'll probably be air cooling it for a while but I do have a watercooling setup I may use on it at some point. The cpu block for that is one of the original Swiftech Apogee's (not a GT etc). While I appreciate this is not going to be quite as good as a more modern block designed for quads, will it be adequate?

I'll probably take the nbidge and gpu's out of the loop so will have a 120.3 rad cooling it.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I found the Storm to be grand on a Q6600. I only picked it up as I urgently needed a block for my 2nd system and it was dirt cheap in the MM. Ended up keeping it for as long as I kept that system.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks guys. I'd heard the storm wasnt great for quads becaue the water flow in the block is concentrated in the middle while more modern blocks have a larger internal cooling area to allow for the fact a quad is two dual chips with a small gap between them. I wasn't sure if the original Apogee allowed for this wider surface area in the quads but it sounds like it will be fine.

I'd probably not put the nb in the loop as it's a 'new' (used) P35 mobo with adequate cooling. Also a new gfx card and I can'mt afford the waterblock for it.

So while a 120.3 may be overkill for just the CPU, it's the cheapest option to re-use parts I already have :)

Associate
Storm block is not better than an Apogee on a quad, the storms footprint is tiny and flow rate is severely restricted. Worked well on dual cores because the competition was rubbish at the time. Apogee has a larger footprint (for quads) and flowrate is very good compared to the Storm.

As for the 120.3, it has enough cooling power to do a quad, SLI/CF easily.

Back
Top Bottom