Win SMP client..

Soldato
This is based on my Linux SMP, but I believe the same applies to Windows.

Basically 1 SMP Client doesn't use 100% of your CPU [Windows says it does, but in Linux I think it was around 80%]. Running a second client means all of the CPUs cycles are being used. However, both clients will run at a slower speed than if they were on their own, this means WUs will take longer. But, if your CPU is fast, then you can easily complete both WUs within the deadline for a larger points increase.

I can't tell you how much of a PPD increase you will get, as I gather all the WUs are different now. It will be a case of trying it out. The extra PPD might not be worth the extra risk of losing WUs by running two clients.

With more than 2 you will probably see very little gain and increase the chance of missing deadlines.

Last edited:
Soldato
I now find it very difficult to run two native WinSMP clients as the second one tends to fall over when the other shuts down at the end of a WU. The current standard WinSMP WU is now the 2665 which is a pig that gives around 1900PPD on its own on my main quad or 1400 if one of two. I think the best solution for XP at the moment is a GPU of some sort plus two Diskless FAH sessions under VM, with the VM affinities restricted to the CPU cores that the GPU isn't using. Vista is probably a bit easier due to the reduced CPU core usage by the GPU client.

Soldato
I run one Deino WinSMP and one GPU2, the GPU takes about 12-15% of one core, SMP has the rest.
I don't know is you could run two but it doesn't seem worth the hassle :)
fahmon.jpg

taskm.jpg

Soldato
The problem, at least with the MPICH client, is that two WinSMP clients don't play at all nicely together. If you kill one client or it finishes its WU, then the other client usually has a fit and deletes the WU. I'm not sure if the Deino client is any better.

Soldato
The Windows SMP client is a total waste of time. I can run the WinSMP client on my qua d and get 1700-1900ppd if I'm lucky. On the exact same machine, I run two Ubuntu VMs each running a Linux SMP client and get upwards of 5000ppd. Why would you want to run the Windows client?

Associate
OP
The Windows SMP client is a total waste of time. I can run the WinSMP client on my qua d and get 1700-1900ppd if I'm lucky. On the exact same machine, I run two Ubuntu VMs each running a Linux SMP client and get upwards of 5000ppd. Why would you want to run the Windows client?

Because I dont want the hassle of setting up the linux clients. I get between 2500 and 3500 ppd depending on project using wsmp on a q9450 @ 3.6 ghz, I know its not perfect but I WANT the wsmp client., thats why I started this thread.

Associate
Because I dont want the hassle of setting up the linux clients. I get between 2500 and 3500 ppd depending on project using wsmp on a q9450 @ 3.6 ghz, I know its not perfect but I WANT the wsmp client., thats why I started this thread.

I had nothing but trouble trying to get two Ubuntu VM's working together, even when they were working, they required constant attention.

My main rig should be able to pull 10k ppd with two linux clients and the GPU2, if the linux SMP clients actually folded for more than a few hours at a time.

The GPU is so stable, I've yet to have a problem with.

Offtopic: What board you on to get 3.6 GHz?

Soldato
OK noob question, which version/type of VMWare do I need. I think it used to be VMWare Server... but I don't see it on the VMW website. I got VMW Player but it would appear that only runs VMs already created... could be wrong.

Been a while since I did this :/

Soldato
It would probably be easier for someone else to do it.

I made it possible for it to be updated, so I could probably grant someone access if they want to do it. I imagine on the whole not THAT much has changed. Dunno.. you guys tell me ^^

Associate
OP
I had nothing but trouble trying to get two Ubuntu VM's working together, even when they were working, they required constant attention.

My main rig should be able to pull 10k ppd with two linux clients and the GPU2, if the linux SMP clients actually folded for more than a few hours at a time.

The GPU is so stable, I've yet to have a problem with.

Offtopic: What board you on to get 3.6 GHz?

Asus P5K premium. Will hit 4 Gb but has to go to insane volts after 470 fsb (CPU limited) Is currently running at stock volts 3.65 (not quite true as overvolts very slightly, cpu VID 1.2, currently 1.225) 32 degrees fully loaded under water.

The board was brought out to celebrate Asus's 18th birthday so is very well made, as you would expect, very high build/component quality. Thats why it holds its price in the face of the newer boards. I highly recommend it.

Associate
It would probably be easier for someone else to do it.

I made it possible for it to be updated, so I could probably grant someone access if they want to do it. I imagine on the whole not THAT much has changed. Dunno.. you guys tell me ^^
I'm not much of a web page hacker, but can put together the steps (from many sources / contributors) to get 1x SMP + 4x GPU clients running On UB 8.04 flavors. All be it, this would be a deticated folding rig, not suitable for desktop use as X isn't installed. All somebody would have to do is add the content / page.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom