First time water cooling, advice on my basket

Associate
I came up with this list for cooling a Q9650 and possibly Tri Sli. Will my basket do for this or would i be better running 2 seperate loops with a single 120.2 on each?

Also i originally intended to use 1/2 ID tubes with 3/4 anti-kink and 1/2 compression fixings but changed to 7/16 tube with 5/8 anti-kink EK 1/2 barbs with Jubelees. Is this a wise move?

Also, quite a lot of the components aint in stock? would it take long to get this order to me?

wcset2.jpg

Associate
OP
Thx for the info guys :)

I looked into the Thermochill rads and although i do love em, i have to leave em alone as i'm restricted to around 35mm thick rads to use in the top of my Silverstone TJ09 case

Last edited:
Soldato
You will need two loops. Using 7/16th tubing with 1/2" barbs you don't really need clips and compression fittings are thought by many as a pain in the arse (i've never used them).

If the GTX280's run anything like as hot as my 4870's you will need a PA120.3. As above i would get better pumps and maybe 2 bayres's for each loop.

For the sli setup you may want to get a couple of SLI bridges.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You will need two loops. Using 7/16th tubing with 1/2" barbs you don't really need clips and compression fittings are thought by many as a pain in the arse (i've never used them).

If the GTX280's run anything like as hot as my 4870's you will need a PA120.3. As above i would get better pumps and maybe 2 bayres's for each loop.

For the sli setup you may want to get a couple of SLI bridges.

Do you think i might get away with a 120X240 for the CPU & NB and a 120X240 for the tri sli alone? I'd like to contain everything in the case, and the Silverstone TJ09 aint the best for watercooling - although it can be done. I think i can get one 240 rad in the top and one 240 vertically situated where the GFX fan is.

Associate
OP
I'll have a look and get a tape measure out to see if i can do anything in the drive bay areas.

Just wondering. Can the d-tek cpu block be installed when the mobo is in situ?

Associate
OP
bugger i knew it! hmmm my new stuff arrives tomorrow: mobo, psu, ram and 280. Ocuk doesn't have most of the WC stuff in my above list. I'll need everything in one go and as soon as possible but i doubt that'll happen ordering from here. I'm pretty new to WC so i have no idea where to look for parts

Associate
It is not possible to cool tri sli and a cpu on one loop.

The rads and pump you have chosen are sub standard and are not worthy of your components.

If you have never watercooled before then I would ditch the idea as the money you would need to spend for quality components would be prohibitive to all but the most diehard watercool fanboy.

You would need 1 loop for your gpus and another for your cpu and NB, should you wish it.

Loop 1 would need full cover waterblocks as your mem on tri sli would create a huge amount of ambient heat under load, this would mean a drop in flow rate so a very strong pump would be needed and the best rad, a thermochill 120.3 is the only rad that would cut it as it can dump 220w of heat.

Loop 2 120.2 rad would cool your cpu and NB.

Back
Top Bottom