Hanns-G HG281DP 28" Widescreen Any good, really??

Soldato
Gaming is awesome on this thing, played a lot of Left4Dead last night and it was great fun.

Movies not so good, but I am really really picky. It doesn't seem to support full range, or maybe the dvi-hdmi cable is stopping it. Will do some proper research into it.

smr

smr

Soldato
Form what I can tell you can't connect a PS3 to this monitor unless you have an HDMI cable , which I don't have, so I'm gonna have to wait till tommorow :(

Soldato
Form what I can tell you can't connect a PS3 to this monitor unless you have an HDMI cable , which I don't have, so I'm gonna have to wait till tommorow :(

You need HDMI to get HD from it anyway, you really really wouldnt want a composite SD connection into a monitor of this size/res. Go and nab an HDMI cable from a supermarket for a fiver.

Soldato
Gaming is awesome on this thing, played a lot of Left4Dead last night and it was great fun.

Movies not so good, but I am really really picky. It doesn't seem to support full range, or maybe the dvi-hdmi cable is stopping it. Will do some proper research into it.

Good to hear about the gaming. I take it you play at 1900 x 1200 resolution? Do you find that the games stretch much at all given the size of the monitor?

Soldato
Good to hear about the gaming. I take it you play at 1900 x 1200 resolution? Do you find that the games stretch much at all given the size of the monitor?

There is no stretching if you play at the right res. You will only get stretching playing at non native resolution/aspect ie, 1920x1080 it needs to fill in 120 vertical pixels, so stretches.

1920x1200/1680x1050 and other 16:10 resolutions will fit perfect.

smr

smr

Soldato
Asked how much the silver plated HDMI cable was that I had in my hand when I was in a well known PC Earth company the other day... £40 !!!! Picked one up today from a local supermarket chain... £4.97 - gold plated and designed for PS3 according to the packaging! Unbelievable stuff!

Anyway, that aside...

Got home and plugged the golden gate of a cable in :)

Now bear in mind I am coming from a 17" LG CRT monitor (yes I have previously used a 21" Viewsonic TFT)... so this screen is absolutely epic, and my brain is still trying to adjust to it :D

I cannot use firefox full screen it's just simply too big or feels weird - I dno maybe I'm not used to the sheer size of it yet. Instead I have it a quarter of the page - MIRC the other quarter, Outlook the other and the other msn etc. so Its great seeing everything open at once - absolutley great and I guess this is the way to go forwards anyway.. like I say though it just feels all weird considering I've never had dual display or anything.

ANYWAY ON TO THE PS3 - Bear in mind my PS3 has previously been attached to a 32" Quintrix Panasonic CRT - no HD etc. so I may be in over awe of this monitor but as soon as I booted COD4 up I felt a smile creep up on my face from ear to ear and sighed a great sense of relief - and felt like I had just got a 250 odd quid monitor that should have been 400-500.

Colours are beautiful, I cannot tell the diffference in COD compared to a customers 42" Sony plasma that I saw a month ago although my memory might have something to do with that. But it looks just as great - vibrant, crisp and clear.

GTA4 looks a lot more detailed but tbh I am not too impressed with *** antialiasing in that game- there's a lot of jaggedy textures but then the game is pure physics based I spose.

To sum up tho, very happy with my monitor so far...

I'm getting a new rig soon and with my current spec cannot test Crysis at 1900 etc. because I simply haven't got the power to pull it off (6600 innovision with a really annoying fan) atm.

I've got the HDDS, case, and PSU but will be upgrading CPU, HS, MOBO, GFX and RAM.

When I've done that I'll share my opinion of Crysis or whatever then.

Associate
seriously considering getting one of these, even though theres no 1:1 pixel mapping, and i do game on my xbox a lot, im still considering this monitor. The only thing thats holding me back is the price right now. Im not paying £280, not when i've seen people get it for as little as £220. If the price goes down, i'll buy. If not, i'll look elsewhere.

Associate
Does anyone know if i could buy a freesat box, and plug it into my Hanns-G using either DVI or HDMI?

This thing is bigger then the TV in my room, so would make sence getting a box to get to digital tv on this, then getting a box my smaller screen lol.

If it is possable, can anyone recomend one :)

Associate

Do you mean darker blacks basically being 'clipped' to full black? I have this issue too. Using an ATI Radeon 4870 1GB plus the DVI-HDMI cable supplied with the monitor.

Soldato
Do you mean darker blacks basically being 'clipped' to full black? I have this issue too. Using an ATI Radeon 4870 1GB plus the DVI-HDMI cable supplied with the monitor.

Yes and No. This is a problem with RGB levels, setting whatever codec your using to output at 16-235 will fix this black crush. However, the screen isnt great at picking out dark details even after this fix. But, in fairness i am used to an HD projector for my films.

Associate
The Hanns-G is now £304. Now to me, considering how much it used to be, thats a joke. I wont be going near that monitor unless it drops below £250. Which will probably be after xmas.

Soldato
The Hanns-G is now £304. Now to me, considering how much it used to be, thats a joke. I wont be going near that monitor unless it drops below £250. Which will probably be after xmas.

It will probably be a long time before it drops back to that price, if ever.

We used to get $2.11 per pound, and now we get $1.46. Since virtually all electronics are dollar-priced, this means large price increases across the board. In dollar-pricing the monitor has dropped.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to change inputs on this? Can it be done just clicking one button, or does one need to go into menus, etc to select input?

Would be using it with PC/360 and on my current monitor it's just one simple lick, which I don't think I could live without.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to change inputs on this? Can it be done just clicking one button, or does one need to go into menus, etc to select input?

Would be using it with PC/360 and on my current monitor it's just one simple lick, which I don't think I could live without.
As far as remember it's just a button but i will check for you tonight if no one comes back with a definitive answer.

gt

Edit: Going from a quote on an online review:

"The buttons consist of a row of five down the monitor's right side. From top to bottom, these cover Menu/back, followed by Auto/input select, Up/brightness and Down/volume, with Power at the bottom."

Soldato
Thanks mate.

Am sorely tempted to buy one today as can be got for £250. But I can also get the Hannspreee 28" "tele" for £280, which has more connectivity options and looks a little nicer.

Though the HannsG monitor has adjustable height etc, which might be needed...

Shouldn't really be spending money, but since I am now forced to mostly game on my monitor (22") instead of my TV (37"), I am missing the extra size :(

Back
Top Bottom