Trymedia - alternative to Steam

Soldato
http://www.trygames.com/how_download_works/aff=trygames/

No third party client software needed (unlike Steam) as well as a limited free trial period, and you use the activation code you get on purchase to unlock a downloaded title. There is also a money-back guarantee in most cases.

Only issue I can see at the moment is they were unable to get agreement from publishers to sell certain titles in Europe (unfortunately this includes anything published by EA :(

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with steam for me, except for download issues (slow, unresponsive) when major titles get released.

Certainly wouldn't be jumping ship for something that looks quite shoddy in comparison.

uv

uv

Soldato
Just took a look - whilst it looks alright, you have to pay for "download insurance", a la EA's download manager - and the download insurance lasts only 18 months.

**** that.

Imagine if Steam started charging for future downloads of games you've bought - there'd be an uproar.

Caporegime
Apparently they may have to one day as storage can only go so far, however, i imagine with steam it'll be something silly like a fiver for 10 years.

Storage can go as far as your funding will allow.

I'd imagine that if steam wants a data centre full of FC SAN, then steam will get a data centre full of FC SAN.

Don
problems i get with steam..

upon quitting, it takes a while to close it properly (can cause the odd shutdown issue, until you end it)

takes a while to load up, and seems to take about 3-4 seconds to load up the games/front screen at first

Sel

Sel

Associate
I've had a Trymedia game running for about 3years and ported it across a couple of PC's.

It does confuse me though at times, I forget what I did to get it unlocked and have to look through the forums to see how it's done.

The only issue was when they updated their protection it's added quite a lump to the start time but still not as slow as Steam.

I did have a problem a month back that took me an hour or two to sort out, the game just kept loading the registration page and saying it was unavailable.
For some reason I'd changed the date and time on the pc's clock and that was messing it up.

Back
Top Bottom