Critical components of the Internet?

Soldato
I'm currently writing a report about Information Security for Uni and one part of it is a diagram of the Internet. This can be interpreted in many ways because there is no single way to draw the Internet. What I have decided to do is keep it quite abstract and only draw the critical components required for operation without going into too much detail. So far I have:

• System Software (OS, Web Browser)
  • System Hardware (Computer or other device)
  • Modem (Dial-Up, ADSL, Cable, Satellite, Router as in Residential gateway)
  • ISP (Includes any Infrastructure such as cable or telephone network)
  • DNS Servers (Require to resolve any addresses)
  • Web Servers (Serves up content)
  • Routers (To get traffic to the correct destination)
  • TCP/IP (Main Protocol Suite on the Internet)

Have I missed off anything critical or is there anything you might change?

Thanks for any comments.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I understand that but for the purpose of my report I am only focusing on browsing, I guess I should have mentioned that. I am trying to decide which components are the critical ones that the Internet is built on and wouldn't function without.

Soldato
OP
Well the report specification is the most ambiguous document I've read, it consists of no more than a few bullet points. It simply states "Internet Components" but as the report is based on Information Security with a focus on anonymouse browsing & publishing I am considering the World Wide Web. It is not a highly technical module so some abstract view is more than sufficient as I doubt the lecturer would understand much more.

Back
Top Bottom