Gone Sealin'

Associate
I have to say I was really pleased I used my flash. I only have a 70-200 without using my 2x (which noticeably softens it) so at 200, some fill is nice. It brings out the colours in the sand and the seal and adds a catch light to the eyes (sometimes). 5, for example, would be very different without some fill to get the colours from the mouth. All of the images in the second post were with the flash, as well as no. 11, from the third post.

Interesting! How do the seals react to the flash? I'd be a bit scared that it would upset them?

I guess they're used to seeing a lot of photographers around from an early age?!

Soldato
OP
Interesting! How do the seals react to the flash? I'd be a bit scared that it would upset them?

I guess they're used to seeing a lot of photographers around from an early age?!
Well I wasn't sure how they'd take it either but when you're actually on the nursery and see all the people with point and shoots flashing away to their heart's content, you think well why not try it? The seals generally don't even look at you when you're using the flash, so I don't think they're bothered in the slightest. I wasn't using it on full power, but even when they're just a few feet from you, they're not fussed.

Associate
Seals look like they have an easy life.
Unfortunately some of them don't have a very good start to life. Some unfortunate pups get washed away from a seal nursery in storms, then get bashed off rocks getting some nasty injuries in the process. However If they are lucky to get found then with ~ 4 months care and attention in a rehab centre then they usually make a full recovery.

Anyway, I digress. Stunning pics of seals, I just wish I could make it down to Donna Nook!

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately some of them don't have a very good start to life. Some unfortunate pups get washed away from a seal nursery in storms, then get bashed off rocks getting some nasty injuries in the process. However If they are lucky to get found then with ~ 4 months care and attention in a rehab centre then they usually make a full recovery
Indeed. I counted 3 dead pups while I was there and a single dead adult female. It's sad to see, but I think on average the majority do quite well.

Soldato
OP
Me too, its fantastic. Nice too see the 350D still cuts it as well.!!
Yes, I totally agree. People look at upgrading their bodies far too early in general.

Saying that, though, I am looking to upgrade in the relatively near future. On the 350D, you've always got to keep noise in mind, as it's not great even at ISO400, so you're often forced to shoot at a wider aperture than you might like. The DoF in some of those is annoyingly small due to having to shoot at 2.8 (or close to it). Saying that, though, it's a cracking camera and it's never let me down.

Associate
Could I just ask anyone going to Donna Nook to be very careful regarding the seals. Unless some of these shots (as good as they are) are crops, then 70-200 is quite frankly way to close and there is a good chance they will be left to fend for themselves, and inevitably die.

If I could point everyone to this thread here on Talk Photography, in particular, post #36 on Page 2. There are a lot of incidents being recorded of seals being abandoned due to inappropriate behaviour of photographers, and are causing quite a worry for the wardens.

As photographers, we should be self policing. Donna Nook in particular is becoming more and more popular, but if trends continue then I wouldn't be surprised if the place was closed off 7 days a week during the season.

Remember, the animals first, photographs second!

Soldato
OP
Yup, I absolutely agree. The ones from the nursery in the third post do show that even with 200mm, you can actually get a surprising amount of seal in the frame, but most of the ones from the first post are cropped. The shots of the seals in the water aren't, as if they're not on land, they have a very different perspective of you and don't feel threatened. All of the seals on land I was photographing here were of an old enough age that they weren't with their mothers (you can see by the fur falling off or already being gone).

Soldato
I agree with your point philio16. However when I eventually post my shots up, there will be several of them shot at 30mm. You may think this is WAY too close, and in normal circumstances it would be. However all of my very close shots were of pups that had already been abandoned and unfortunately it would only be a matter of time before they died.

Donna Nook is a strange place where you can get very close to nature, but as you mantioned, you really need to have respect for your subjects and be self policing. If you think you are distressing a seal, then you probably are and need to back off. But then again, many of the seals had different ideas of what was too close. I took some of a bull and he didn't mind me getting quite close. However another bull didn't like me getting close at all and made it very evident.

So I don't think there is any rule where you can say 200mm is too close, you should be using 400mm etc. I think its more a matter of reading the situation and taking care and respect for these great creatures (and any other wildlife you may end up taking shots of).

Soldato
OP
So I don't think there is any rule where you can say 200mm is too close, you should be using 400mm etc. I think its more a matter of reading the situation and taking care and respect for these great creatures (and any other wildlife you may end up taking shots of).
That's also true. There are cases where you get set up on a seal and it's so interested in what you're doing that it keeps moving towards you. In the end you're forced to move backwards, but the distance obviously isn't alarming the seal at all.

Associate
I agree with your point philio16. However when I eventually post my shots up, there will be several of them shot at 30mm. You may think this is WAY too close, and in normal circumstances it would be. However all of my very close shots were of pups that had already been abandoned and unfortunately it would only be a matter of time before they died.

Donna Nook is a strange place where you can get very close to nature, but as you mantioned, you really need to have respect for your subjects and be self policing. If you think you are distressing a seal, then you probably are and need to back off. But then again, many of the seals had different ideas of what was too close. I took some of a bull and he didn't mind me getting quite close. However another bull didn't like me getting close at all and made it very evident.

I totally agree...in my rant I should have probably included the word 'pup' somewhere! :) If there is a pup with a parent nearby, then it is best left alone in my opinion, or at least photographed from a respectable distance. Could I ask how you knew that your pups had been abandoned? It's just that the EXIF in these shots show that they were all less than 200mm...I don't even like getting within 160mm of my studio models sometimes, let alone a wild animal :p

This I think could set a bad precedent, which is worrying. People trying to get 'beat' 160mm and so on. It's not just the pups reaction you have to worry about, if the mother detects even the slightest human scent on it, it will be abandoned...and if you are 8 or 9ft away and the wind changes direction, that's it! It's not something any respectful photographer should be toying with I don't think.

I wouldn't have a problem with bulls at 30mm...they're quite capable of letting you know when you are too close, in fact if anyone is at risk it'd be yourself :D

But yes, self policing..I wouldn't, as I'm sure no one would, want to live with the guilt on my conscience of having condemned a pup to it's death out of photographic greed :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The only seal I photographed that was young enough to be with its mother (and outside the nursery) was the one in the water, and as above, they react completely differently to you in that circumstance. Where figures are below 200 in my shots, it's generally as the seal has been moving towards me. I suppose unfortunately, by virtue of the fact that they are closer, they are my preferred photos from the many I shot.

I'm not really arguing here, as I do agree completely with what you're saying, but I don't necessarily think it's at all as clear cut as you say. At the nursery when seal pups are asleep against the fence, people are literally within a foot of them. When there are issues with pups being in the wrong areas, I've also seen the wardens shepard them in the right direction through contact.

Associate
Great set of shots:) Excellent focus, nice natural colour and the use of the flash in a number of shots really brings them alive with that glint in the eye.

I'm also a great fan of the 350D and still think its the best of that line of Canon digitals 400, 450 etc. I also have a 40D but still use my 350 more.

Associate
The only seal I photographed that was young enough to be with its mother (and outside the nursery) was the one in the water, and as above, they react completely differently to you in that circumstance. Where figures are below 200 in my shots, it's generally as the seal has been moving towards me. I suppose unfortunately, by virtue of the fact that they are closer, they are my preferred photos from the many I shot.

I'm not really arguing here, as I do agree completely with what you're saying, but I don't necessarily think it's at all as clear cut as you say. At the nursery when seal pups are asleep against the fence, people are literally within a foot of them. When there are issues with pups being in the wrong areas, I've also seen the wardens shepard them in the right direction through contact.

I agree with what you say, but this raises the question of a seal pups intelligence. It knows no different than to explore it's surroundings, but does this mean it is right to be near it? I don't think so to be honest...mothers do leave their pups for periods of time (or so I am told)...again, if human scent is smelt then it is likely to be abandoned....all because the seal pup approached you.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and of course in the water they are in their territory so the rules of engagement are different and being closer is more acceptable.

I'm just trying to raise awareness that being close can have an impact, even if not immediately, then in the hours that follow when you aren't around. There must be a reason why increasing numbers are being abandoned, and my guess is it due to the poor behaviour of some photographers...no one else tries to get close do they?

Imagine the pups were actually bird of prey chicks....you would be condemned going within 30ft of a nest! Under UK law it would be bordering illegal to disturb the animals in any way during the pupping season, and some countries have imposed 100ft restraining laws on seal pups!

As I say, I don't want to be a kill joy, but rising abandonment tells me something....

Associate
philio16, I think you need to be a little careful in the conclusions you're drawing to be honest.

Mortality amongst seal pups is massively high, as I'm sure you know, and if it weren't, you wouldn't be able to move on Donna Nook for seals!

Yes, it's convenient to blame photographers for things, but it's not just photographers who go to see the seals. They are also impacted negatively by all kinds of man made activity out at sea, but of course we don't see that. It doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

According to Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust, last year was one of the busiest in terms of visitors to Donna Nook ever, and it was also one of the seals most successful breeding years for some time. Doesn't really suggest that things are going wrong does it?

I'm not for one minute defending the reported actions of a few idiot photographers, so please don't think I am, but it's important to frame this issue with some facts, rather than emotive guesses. The advice you give is sound, but it does make it sound a bit like photographers are the only ones impacting on the environment there.

Check out this picture of some visitors last year to Donna Nook. Are they too close?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/Sealsfence.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom