Really small gpu card

Associate
I've got one of the Hiper HTPC cases. THey are brilliant and really do look like a standard DVD. But, I'm getting tired of the on board graphics and have been thinking of adding a GPU. Only with the very small space (53mm) in the case this might be difficult, any suggestions?

Just to speed up and smooth dvd playback, potentially add a bluray player, maybe play one or two old games (RTW,MTW, that ind of thing)

Running an e2180 + 4gig + vista 64

Soldato
Hi,
This case is not really designed for any real gfx card upgrades.

If your on board graphics has really poor 2D performance (eg intel :D) and want to change then you'd need a PCIe riser to install the card flat, clicky.

You should also workout the space avalible to see what cards will squeeze in, judging by this pic it'll be a tight fit even for a thin 3450.
________
Suzuki Gt Series History

Last edited:
Soldato
i think your best bet would be to find a low profile card

example: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...GS 256MB DDR2 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

or if they still do it a riser card but i have never seen one specically for pcie or agp.
right_riser_card_example_large.jpg

though obviously have to research the height etc of the low profile gpu.

Associate
OP
Hi,
This case is not really designed for any real gfx card upgrades.

If your on board graphics has really poor 2D performance (eg intel :D) and want to change then you'd need a PCIe riser to install the card flat, clicky.

You should also workout the space avalible to see what cards will squeeze in, judging by this pic it'll be a tight fit even for a thin 3450.
Yes, I've seen the risers on the Hiper website. I'll have to google for specific references to GPUs in that case on some forum or the other I suppose.

Cheers

Soldato
as stated you can get a 16x pci-e ribbon cable so you can put a full size full spec gfx card on its side in the case or even externally if you felt the need.

I saw one in use in a water build where the person had used the ribbon cable to tilt the acrylic EK waterblock so it was visible out of the case, looked awesome.

Soldato
The Hiper case is a squeeze. It's a riser card with a small graphics card or nothing. I wouldn't go for a passive card as the hiper cases are notorious for getting a bit toasty. The PSU is only 200w as well, so you'll be limited by that.

A 780G motherboard would be a good bet. If you do go for a riser and card, the smaller the better.

Back
Top Bottom