Mounting photos

Caporegime
Random questions I know but I just had two large photo's printed after a friend wanted a couple of photos done, now I need to work out how I can stick them up on my wall...

The smaller of the two (18x12) has some card in the packaging, I was thinking of perhaps getting some pritt stick and gluing it onto the board then blutacking it to the wall? The other is 24x16, is there any way I can stick it up without using blu tack straight onto the picture, thus ruining the corners?

Bearing in mind I can't afford and don't want to put them in proper frames and I don't have any nails in the wall...

:p

I wouldnt use pritt stick. it easily comes unattached and leaves a mess behind your print. I also wouldn't use blu tac for reason you highlighted.

If the image is going to be hidden behind a frame then I recomend getting a piece of card behind it and cutting 4 40degree angle slits into the card so the print can stand within the card. minimum damage to the print! :)

Thats handy if your gonna be hiding a small portion of the image as it gives you room to adjust it to get it perfect.
Also to masking tape doubled over is good.

mounting.jpg

Last edited:
just noticed you said your not gonna put up frames. You can get cardboard frames. You could mount the image behind one of those and just blu tack the cardboard frame. There only a couple of quid. let me find a pic of one of mine

frames.jpg

the pictured frame is one of those self standing frames you get from photographers who normally do portraits around schools. sure you could get them someplace

the 2nd one (its 18x12 viewable)
I had that specially cut from an art shop. Discustingly though it cost me £5 just for that however its cut with a beveled edge so looks pretty. Could just tape the image to the rear of that and it'll be reet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
That confirms my worry about the pritt stick. I didn't think of a cardboard cutout border, i'll have a look into that, although I guess I would have trouble getting a pre-cut one for the 24x16 I could get a sheet and cut both out of the same one/get one cut.

What tape would you suggest I use, just masking tape?

Thanks

Caporegime
OP
Further to F11's suggestion of window mounts I think it's worth investing in a cutter, ruler and mat for future use and then you can print out any odd size/shape photo and cut your own custom mounts to fit standard frames:

http://www.diyframing.com/store_viewItem.cfm?ItemID=108
http://www.diyframing.com/store_viewItem.cfm?ItemID=126
http://www.diyframing.com/store_viewItem.cfm?ItemID=191

:)

Ouch (price):o! I think i'll leave that for the moment but if I start printing out lots of photos that looks a good suggestion.

Also when printing out shots they generally come out slightly dark (using a calibrated monitor). Is the best bet to move the central level adjustment to brighten the shot slightly?

Soldato
I print and mount my own shots, heres what I do.

1.> Buy a standard sheet of A0 or A1 mountboard from the local art suppliers shop.

2.> If I'm mounting an A3 shot, I generally manually cut the mountboard to 16 by 20 inches, as this is a standard frame size.

3.> Mark out a "window" in the mountboard to same size as the print, but 2-3mm smaller for a slight overlay (I normally print borderless, but you may wish to print with a border round the paper for easier mounting)

4.> I then place the photograph on the back off the mountboard, with back facing me, and tape the print into the window..

5.> I then get a piece of greyboard (card) 16x20" use copydex for the card/mount and 3M Photoweld on the actual back of the shot.

6.> Squeeze together and leave overnight..

Caporegime
OP
Sorted, thanks. :)

I went to Athena (generic photo/canvas shop) and got a couple of frames cut (£5 each, but I don't think too bad, especially for the 24x16) with their machine, then masking taped the corners and layered some random card I had laying around to give the frames some rigidity.

Now stuck on my wall with blutac and looking good, I have no idea what I am going to do with them in May though (finish uni)... :p

Back
Top Bottom