WRT54GL Port Forward Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi,

I've got a WRT54GL 1.1 router here, about 8 months old. It has been working flawlessly just as I knew it would... until now!

No matter what I try I can't get it to forward ports! UPnP seems to work fine, but port forwarding and even DMZ doesn't. I've tried everything I can possibly think of, including several hard resets and updated firmware, as suggested by Linksys. Nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be up, as both OcUK and Linksys want me to return the router before they send a replacement meaning I would be without Internet!!!... for like a week!!!

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
I'd just download this tbh
I'm sure doing that voids the warranty. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't help...

What ports are you trying to get forwarded? Certain ISPs block certain ports at their end, hence no matter what you do at your end it will appear to fail.
Tried loads and it doesn't seem to work. I'm on Virgin Media and they don't block ports. The main one I'm trying is 27015 so I can run a L4D server, but I also tried ports associated with FTP, VNC, SMTP etc, even tried DMZ and still nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It doesn't, since if you mess it up you can just do a hardware reset and get everything back to factory settings with the stock firmware.

1) It does, plus if it bricks and you can't flash back then it leaves you in a mess
2) I'm going going to say I'd do it on here when I'm looking at returning it to here :p
3) Pretty damn sure it wouldn't help...

Soldato
Oh noes! You might void the warranty on a £30 router by transferring/updating to infinitely superior firmware! :o:D There are plenty of ways to restore one, even bricked, if it came to it. I've flashed dozens of times between different versions of Tomato, Tomato-Speed-Mod, Victek's Tomato and DD-WRT etc. Never had a problem.

Tomato works superbly and is well worth the 2 minutes it takes to make the switch and get set up again. Give it a go :cool:

EDIT: The WRT54GL was brought out as a replacement for the newer WRT54G which transferred away from GNU/Linux firmware to VXWorks. The Linux/hacker types cried out they wanted GPL firmware to play with, so Linksys/Cisco brought out the G*L* (for Linux) to keep those folks happy. Why provide GPL firmware so it can be changed, if you're not allowed to change it? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
1) It does, plus if it bricks and you can't flash back then it leaves you in a mess
2) I'm going going to say I'd do it on here when I'm looking at returning it to here :p
3) Pretty damn sure it wouldn't help...
1. I'm pretty sure it doesn't, as it's sold as an open source router.
3. I'm 100% damn sure it will. But hey, if you want to stay with your broken Linksys firmware... be my guest.

Soldato
OP
Oh noes! You might void the warranty on a £30 router by transferring/updating to infinitely superior firmware! :o:D There are plenty of ways to restore one, even bricked, if it came to it. I've flashed dozens of times between different versions of Tomato, Tomato-Speed-Mod, Victek's Tomato and DD-WRT etc. Never had a problem.

Tomato works superbly and is well worth the 2 minutes it takes to make the switch and get set up again. Give it a go :cool:

EDIT: The WRT54GL was brought out as a replacement for the newer WRT54G which transferred away from GNU/Linux firmware to VXWorks. The Linux/hacker types cried out they wanted GPL firmware to play with, so Linksys/Cisco brought out the G*L* (for Linux) to keep those folks happy. Why provide GPL firmware so it can be changed, if you're not allowed to change it? ;)
£40 is not pocket change to me and if my router is faulty I want to be able to return it. As I got it from OcUK I don't think saying I installed something that voids the warranty on their forums would be a good idea.

Do you have a firewall running that is blocking things?
No, nothing.

1. I'm pretty sure it doesn't, as it's sold as an open source router.
3. I'm 100% damn sure it will. But hey, if you want to stay with your broken Linksys firmware... be my guest.
1) It does. The stock firmware is open source, hence why they sell it as such. It does not mean you can put anything on it that is not official.
2) I am infinitely damn sure it will not help me..........

Soldato
Changing the firmware will *NOT* fix my problem. :)
it's not a firmware as such, it's a wrt linux distro running busybox, and it WILL fix your problem.

As for the warranty, the OcUK description says this
Carrying on the Linux heritage for enthusiasts is the WRT54GL, a device with a Linux kernel and 200MHz processor. You then have a choice of custom firmware you can download for better configuration.

Last edited:
Associate
Changing the firmware will *NOT* fix my problem. :)
Surely in order to know that you would have to know all the possible solutions and then check to see if the suggestions given exist within that set.

Given that you are able to judge whether a solution will work I must conclude that you already know the solutions.

If this is not the case, I conclude that you are being silly.

Soldato
OP
Ok, Linksys said it would void the warranty, that's all I know and if this is the case I'm going to admit to doing it on the forums of the company I'm wanted to return the product too if it is faulty.

I know for an absolute total fact that Tomato will not solve my problem :)

Caporegime
You've tried any sensible suggestions, and you're not willing to change the firmware.
There's nothing else to do other than return it, and there's no point in this thread going in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom