Build Advice - Budget vs Mid Range system

Associate
Hi guys

I have a habit of not upgrading very often, i think this pc is about 6 years old (P4 2.2ghz, but gpu is newer). But it's now falling under spec of modern games so would like something new.

What I want to know if it makes more sense to get a budget system (£300-£500) now and upgrade in a couple years assuming it can handle future games for that long, or get a mid-range system (£500-700) and hold on for a bit longer? My thinking is that any cpu upgrade i will be an expensive one due to the new socket tech that's just come out so it might make sense to go for a budget system right now.

I have a 24 inch monitor, use pc for photoshop, fps/online games, and then the usual web stuff.

Associate
OP
I guess I want to spend not too much more than £500, I would go over this if there was a real argument to do so. I do photoshop daily, more screen stuff than high res print stuff. Gaming is nice on the odd evening.

CPU wise, is the Q6600 still the best bang for your buck quad?

What is a good value GPU for a 24 inch monitor?

Associate
OP
Thanks, I need the basic tower spec :) I would like to reuse my current case though (+ monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, DVD RW), assuming current motherboards fit in an 6year old coolermaster 201 case? but feel free to spec a case anyway. I dont plan to overclock at the moment, but thats more because it's not something i've looked into.

Budget around £500, but would go over if there was a good reason to

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom