Soldato
Truman Capote - In Cold Blood
Milan Kundera - The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Brett Easton Ellis - American Psycho
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
George Orwell - 1984, Down and Out in Paris and London

Rich

Soldato
I want modern 'coming of age' controversial fiction aimed at young male adults.

Thanks

Well, you can't get more controversial than American Psycho that I mentioned in my post, it was banned in some countries and I believe in Australia you have to be 18 to buy it.

A Stupidly well written book, so witty and brilliant - yet will actually freak you out - I had to put it down a few times as it was a bit too much.

Rich

EDIT

Well, there are probably more controversial books - but that one always was one that stuck with me.

/EDIT

Associate
Well, you can't get more controversial than American Psycho that I mentioned in my post, it was banned in some countries and I believe in Australia you have to be 18 to buy it.

A Stupidly well written book, so witty and brilliant - yet will actually freak you out - I had to put it down a few times as it was a bit too much.

seriously?! I didnt even finish reading it, not because I found it disturbing or whatever, but because the fact he describes what every single person he sees is wearing in intricate detail got on my **** :o

Associate
OP
Seen the film, heard from many people the book goes into too much detail as stated above. Can't be bothered reading it at this time.

Suggestions please, relevant to my stated criteria. Thanks.

Soldato
seriously?! I didnt even finish reading it, not because I found it disturbing or whatever, but because the fact he describes what every single person he sees is wearing in intricate detail got on my **** :o

Really? That's what I loved - Showed how materialistic he and all the people were, how he could tell you exactly what they wore, and the price, and make but got people confused, and called people the wrong names, and people often called him the wrong name.

If you look on the Wikipedia page for American Psycho it tells you were it is banned and the uproar etc.

Rich

Man of Honour
The Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Salinger might just about fit your criteria, although I've got to say it seems a bit of an odd set of criteria to limit yourself so, brilliant books aren't always so easily pigeonholed.

I'd also not recommend Catch 22, interminably long way to relate what should be a fairly simple idea. But do carry it in case of muggings to fend off any attackers, you may even be able to stop a bullet with it if necessary.

Associate
OP
The Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Salinger might just about fit your criteria, although I've got to say it seems a bit of an odd set of criteria to limit yourself so, brilliant books aren't always so easily pigeonholed.

I'd also not recommend Catch 22, interminably long way to relate what should be a fairly simple idea. But do carry it in case of muggings to fend off any attackers, you may even be able to stop a bullet with it if necessary.

I am now going to limit myself further by saying I only want books published post 1990.

Thanks.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom