• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Atitool & 8800 GTX

Soldato
I've been running my card at stock (626/1000) since it produces enough heat to warm up the room I've not bothered overclocking it.

Now it's getting a little older I thought I'd see how much juice was in it.

As far as I'm aware the easiest way to do this is with Atitool, it has a nice lazy way to find the highest stable memory/clock.

However running at stock - Artefacts detected, little yellow dots appear.
Running at 8800 GTX spec (lower than mine at stock) same story.

The card has never been allowed to get hot, it's been on water since it was installed.

I've installed Furmark and ran that for 45 minutes, at the higher heat setting.

The first 10 minutes I was making a nice up of tea, the remaining 30 or 35 minutes I was staring at my screen as it generated the (rather attractive, but you do get fed up) fur.

The temperature settled at 59, although it did flick to 60 and back once or twice. I was not able to see a single artefact, not one dodgy looking pixel at all. I tried various ways of looking at the screen. Trying to see the whole thing at once, looking at just one corner, or just the top half of the ring etc. I didn't see nuffin.

Can I walk away thinking my card is fine, and the issue is with ATITool?

I've had a few searches on the web and I've found a fair few other people in the same boat as me, however I wasn't able to find any solid information or any conclusions.

Soldato
I have had exactly the same problem with my G80 GTS 320. Yellow dots (1 or 2) appear in atitool immediately and i've noticed yellow blobs around the mouse pointer sometimes for a fraction of a second. No problems in furmark, but after an hour will probably stop warming just shy/over 90 deg. I've also seen the screen go white for a fraction of a second sometimes.

Runs games fine though, I haven't noticed and problems.

The only things I could narrow it down to is perhaps a problem with atitool (i'm on vista 64) or just dodgy video mem.

It's got a long warranty (BFG), but not sure whether to RMA it at the risk of having it sent back with no problems.

Hope that can clarify my issues, sorry if it doesn't solve the problem. I'd be interested if anyone else has any input, my other thread on this was fruitless.

Soldato
Hopefully this is a G80 thing then. Still, doesn't explain the other artifacts i've seen. I'll just keep it until it dies...

Back
Top Bottom