How much would this cost (design)

Associate
I am looking for a simple personal webpage for a domain that I bought last year and ended up doing nothing with and would like to ask you guys how much the following would cost me.

Simple full page frontpage with a bit of text and the following buttons: blog,gallery,contact,links etc that lead to other pages on the website that look the same as the main page. The gallery button should lead to a page where I can use multiple flash picture galleries. I understand that I will need to install blogging s/w but could this be done on the main site rather than link to an external blog?

The ability to change the wording on the site and create new pages fairly easily.

Would it be possible to restrict access to certain sections (i.e. mydomain.com/private) by username/password that cant be easily hacked/
This would contain pics, files for work etc that could be accessed by a browser rather than ftp.

If the above is possible how much would it cost me to get it created and are there any particular good, cheap designers that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance. :)

Edit: I like the look of some flash websites but I take it they are pretty expensive to make?

Permabanned
What you're after wouldn't be *that* expensive, as it's basically a simple web design with CMS.

However, if you were after a Flash website all over, you would be looking at an exponentially larger amount.

See if you can find a site that offers free quotes?

Soldato
Joomla - completely free CMS that can do all that you want, including flash galleries.

Like the man said, full flash is pretty much bespoke and would be hugely expensive.

Joomla - free

Soldato
web design, you get what you pay for really.

You can go find someone to do it for £100 but I'm 99.9% sure it will look crap/dated.
What you're asking for is a website, not just the design though, which once again if you skimp on the development cost you'll end up with old and out of date code and bad for search engines.
Like people have said, a CMS would be best for you as you can login to an admin panel and add/edit things without having to know how to code a website. Why would you want multiple flash galleries? Have you seen the latest CSS based photo gallerys? Much better for search engines, loading times and accessibility.

Associate
I do this kind of thing for a job. The functionality you describe sounds like you want a developer rather than a designer.

Since it's just a personal site you could consider using a free or premium template for the design. It will mean there will be a few other sites on the net that look similar to yours but you will have an attractive design for free or very little money.

There are free content management systems such as drupal or joomla that will allow you to update content yourself and have some kind of members area, and you can get free themes for both. However, for sites like this my CMS of choice is ExpressionEngine which costs around $99 for a personal license and requires a bit more of a bespoke setup.

If the members only section was literally just to store files for work you could also use another service like Dropbox, as most CMS systems aren't designed to securely store files

I wouldn't say there are any "cheap" designers/developers who are also "good". But you can do all the functionality you want on the cheap if you use stock templates, stock flash, third party services etc.

Associate
Please don't use all flash websites. Its annoying and locks some people out of using it. Sure they may be aesthetic, but when you come acutally using them they get annoying, pointless animation just adds time to getting to the information you need.

It used to be that search engines had a hard time indexing them to.

If want animation use html with javascript.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

I dont really want my site to be high up the google index etc as it is a personal site with nothing for sale on it. I dont fancy the Wordpress look of sites and just want a simple main page :)

The flash galleries will be the similar (if not the exact same) as Simplyviewer etc but the main page would more or less be a basic webpage since flash is expensive.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help and email guys :)

Just a couple of final questions if thats ok.

As the flash galleries are free and can be uploaded through cpanel theres no need to create them, all I would be looking for is a simple website with a main page, blog (which I will upload through cpanel), galleries (which I will upload) and an about page.

I know that I have little or no knowledge of making a web site but surely £150 - £200 is a bit high or is that the going rate nowadays?

Thanks again for all your help :)

Soldato
£200 is very very cheap.
Website designers/developers don't work for £6/hour. If you were getting charged £200 for this website let us all know how it looks once its done, as £200 in my eyes is about 10-15hours work very max

Associate
OP
Thanks for the heads up guys with the exception of Sagalout who seems to have caught retarditis after reading my post. :rolleyes:

Time to either buy a template or get someone from the Indian subcontinent to create it for me for a lot cheaper than UK prices.

I take it if I purchased a template it would cost a good bit cheaper to edit it rather than creating a site from scratch?

Back
Top Bottom