which is better .....

Soldato
OP
Touched mine up a bit

yay2.jpg

Better?

ah dude awsome !!! ah man am so stuck on what to do now !!!

Better yes, but still not great, sorry, I can see what your trying to get at though. (btw OP the image composition and stuff itself is fine)

highlights should be white, not grey, when darkening an image it is usually best to use "brightness/contrast" tool rather than exposure unless you have blown highlights.

Here is my attempt, not the best either but still:

s5fpqv.jpg

:O

woah! what did you use to edit this with + phate ?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I didn't even touch the highlights :confused: so I'm not quite sure why you are saying about them?

you have I assume reduced the exposure in either lightroom or photoshop, this will darken everything, including the highlights in a linear fashion, thus making them appear grey. If this is not the case, either way the highlights in your edit are too grey/dull.

Soldato
No.

HDR is a technique which has been blown WAY out of proportion by Cykey. He milks off it constantly and I cannot wait for the day until it is bettered and he is left in the shadow.

Oh what a completely stupid thing to say. I only ever do HDR when its needed. I have always told people that. Theres not really any way you can better HDR. I mean your average sunny day has a contrast ratio of say 100,000:1 and a HDR file can store a scene with a contrast ratio 4,294,967,296:1. Thats pretty damn better. Guess you could wait for Ultra HDR. Mega HDR. Super HDR 64. Anyways, I can't be left in the shadow with HDR. All the detail I want baby. You should really buy my book on it when it comes out and learn a thing or two :p Milky milky.

Permabanned
Oh what a completely stupid thing to say. I only ever do HDR when its needed. I have always told people that. Theres not really any way you can better HDR. I mean your average sunny day has a contrast ratio of say 100,000:1 and a HDR file can store a scene with a contrast ratio 4,294,967,296:1. Thats pretty damn better. Guess you could wait for Ultra HDR. Mega HDR. Super HDR 64. Anyways, I can't be left in the shadow with HDR. All the detail I want baby. You should really buy my book on it when it comes out and learn a thing or two :p Milky milky.

aahhhh your petercarr from TP, didn't realise :D

gotta say your HDR stuff is amazing (Y)

Caporegime
you have I assume reduced the exposure in either lightroom or photoshop, this will darken everything, including the highlights in a linear fashion, thus making them appear grey. If this is not the case, either way the highlights in your edit are too grey/dull.

The exposure was reduced by 0.30 of a stop or something miniscule like that. This was purely because the bright lights are just blown too much over the image in general. Contrast was then later adjusted to compensate for it.

In your opinion in my 2nd edit are the highlights still too grey?

Permabanned
The exposure was reduced by 0.30 of a stop or something miniscule like that. This was purely because the bright lights are just blown too much over the image in general. Contrast was then later adjusted to compensate for it.

In your opinion in my 2nd edit are the highlights still too grey?

well yes, but they're blown anyway in both mine and your edits and neither of us can fix that easily.

Reducing the exposure would have caused.

I am not sure if you can see the difference though it would depend on your monitor I guess, can you see that the highlights in yours are a bit too dull compared with mine?

Caporegime
Well then, don't start something you can't finish :p
As far as technicals go on HDR I cannot answer them because I simply don't know them.

I'm not denying that some of your HDR stuff is indeed good, however, it's all I ever see you do, be better to show something different from time to time.

Bod

Bod

Soldato
Neither IMO. Highlights are badly blown.

HDR is supposed to increase the dynamic range of a shot, bring out detail that may otherwise be hidden or unseen. The HDR'd version here looks as though it's done the opposite. Detail has gone missing.

Photography is all about light. Capture the light correctly and *then* process it.

No offense, while this shot does have its merits, I think it might be worthwhile going back and shooting it again, paying close attention to the highlights, and capturing a tonally correct image to work on :)
You can play about with this image all you want, but if the highlights are blown, the highlights are blown, and no amount of superfangledgadgetry is going to bring them back.

Caporegime
well yes, but they're blown anyway in both mine and your edits and neither of us can fix that easily.

Reducing the exposure would have caused.

I am not sure if you can see the difference though it would depend on your monitor I guess, can you see that the highlights in yours are a bit too dull compared with mine?

I can't really see it, this laptop isn't calibrated (poor excuse as the calibrator is in the car :p)

Oh and to the OP - Just photoshop.

Soldato
OP
Neither IMO. Highlights are badly blown.

HDR is supposed to increase the dynamic range of a shot, bring out detail that may otherwise be hidden or unseen. The HDR'd version here looks as though it's done the opposite. Detail has gone missing.

Photography is all about light. Capture the light correctly and *then* process it.

No offense, while this shot does have its merits, I think it might be worthwhile going back and shooting it again, paying close attention to the highlights, and capturing a tonally correct image to work on :)
You can play about with this image all you want, but if the highlights are blown, the highlights are blown, and no amount of superfangledgadgetry is going to bring them back.

exp on the highlights boss...im intregeeeeeeeed!!!!

Caporegime
As far as technicals go on HDR I cannot answer them because I simply don't know them.

I'm not denying that some of your HDR stuff is indeed good, however, it's all I ever see you do, be better to show something different from time to time.

Mario Testino does nothing but portraits really, it serves him well. Nobody is asking him to do something different.

besides..........have you not seen his blog ? It's not 100% HDR, it's not even 50% HDR.

p.s. this photo doesn't need HDR, it needs the level and contrast adjusted correctly, thats all.

Back
Top Bottom