'At fault' claims, how much did your insurance go up?

Soldato
Last Friday I was in a collision with another car on a roundabout and have had to conceed to being at fault, even though there were many factors envolved, but nothing to prove them.

However, this is now in the past and I stil have my 11 years protected NCB. However it strikes me that these No Claim Bonus's really aren't as clear cut as one may first think. Basically all that my NCB entitles me to is the maximum discount possible (40%), however the under lying insurance cost can pretty much be anything at all. If we all had access to a fixed cost table, where you could look up your car, age, points etc then this would be fairer, but in reality the price of insurance changes day to day.

Anwway I therefore fully expect my insurance to go up in February, but I am wondering how much that may be? I am 32 and drive a 1998 1.8iS MX5 and my insurance was £440 fully comp. I estimate the cost of the claim would be approx £3.5k between the two cars.

I thought it would be interesting to hear from others who have had an 'at fault' claim and to see how much their insurance went up if at all...

Cheers

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
3 accidents, 2 non fault, had my premium almost doubled aged 20 on the 206. Was around £1400 all in fully comp. Could have insured it for half that without those claims and 0 ncd.

23 now and will have none of those on my record. Paying £1400 on the CTR.

Associate
mine went up by about 200 with a fault claim, not sure on total cost but mine alone was 2.5k only 21 now with 0ncb so you wont be that effected.

Caporegime
The first claim (completely my fault), it didn't. In fact, my renewal was lower. The second claim (when someone drove into it and naffed off) it went up by £300, but I managed to get a quote elsewhere for about £20 more.

Soldato
11 years protected ncd? I'd say less than £50. I've run thousands of quotes and i've even seen premiums which involve a high ncd risks not be affected by a claim (even two)!

Soldato
Not a lot, i'm currently in the process of getting a Mini Cooper S, and it hasn't affected it an awfull lot, but it was only a claim of £400 from another driver.

Soldato
When I took out my ionsurance with 6 years NCB I was told not to protect it because the most I'd loose in case of a claim was 2 years in which case the cost of protection was more than I'd pay on the next years premium with 4 years NCB. When I got knocked off my motorcycle by someone who subsequently drove off (after making sure my bike no longer impeeded his cars progress) without exchanging details I learned that this was a fault claim against my insurance (it is your fault if you are unable to ensure your insurers can recover your claim against the 3rd party). I subsequently lost 3 years NCB, not to mention the costs in replacing my helmet etc..... This years renewal was subsequently ~50% higher, I assume If I had continued to protect my NCB then I would be paying at least the same as last year.

Soldato
A few years ago I managed to drive my car into a stationary car at some traffic lights, they then went into the back of a brand new volvo coach thing. Damage all in all; a daewoo something, which afaik was repaired (had a crease in the boot floor, and iirc it was pretty new), my old Coupe turbo, written off, about 7k's worth of damage to the coach, and 2 whiplash claims. Totally my fault, for some reason I glanced right to read some graffiti, lights turned red, I turned back and just had time to think 'I'm doing 35, better to go into the back of this than swerve into oncoming... BANG'. Anyway, went up by £40, NCB protected, fully comp with tesco (that was a 2 litre turbo, IG 17 afaik).

Back
Top Bottom