30gig cap question

Soldato
im moving from enta and have decided to go with fast as they are very highly reccomended.
at the mo my tarrif is 30peak 300off peak, but with fast its just a straight 30gig a month.
question......i only really use the connection for gta iv, cod4, and tf2 and the occasional demo download and drivers etc etc. will 30gig a month be good enuff for my online gamming, im not up all night, i play about 3hrs a day.
im unsure how to calculate how much data is transfered for gamming and dont really want to run out of gb's and buy addtional
many thanks

Associate
You'll never use 30gb in a month just for gaming, unless the games you play have outrageously large patches that you need to update daily. General gaming for 3 hours a day every day for a month would barely use up a few gb, if even.

Soldato
OP
You'll never use 30gb in a month just for gaming, unless the games you play have outrageously large patches that you need to update daily. General gaming for 3 hours a day every day for a month would barely use up a few gb, if even.

thats good enough for me, thanks pennywise :)

Sel

Sel

Associate
If your a gamer then it's more about speed than the amount of data transferred, you should check what sort of pings you can get with Fast.

Associate
Any particular reason why you are moving away from Enta?

I have been with them for a few years and can’t fault them for gaming/pings etc. Fast however are overpriced and you don’t get as much for your money!

Associate
Any particular reason why you are moving away from Enta?

I have been with them for a few years and can’t fault them for gaming/pings etc. Fast however are overpriced and you don’t get as much for your money!
Can't speak for the OP, but if you follow this forum there are quite a few people talking about performance problems, poor speeds and high latency, and there's a reported change planned to peak/offpeak times. Seems like Entanet have lost a lot of their sheen.

Soldato
im moving from enta and have decided to go with fast as they are very highly reccomended.
at the mo my tarrif is 30peak 300off peak, but with fast its just a straight 30gig a month.
question......i only really use the connection for gta iv, cod4, and tf2 and the occasional demo download and drivers etc etc. will 30gig a month be good enuff for my online gamming, im not up all night, i play about 3hrs a day.
im unsure how to calculate how much data is transfered for gamming and dont really want to run out of gb's and buy addtional
many thanks

30GB will be more than enough for quite a few downloads and online gaming, especially if you only game 3 hours a day. Online games really don't take that much bandwidth.

Soldato
You sure it's a 30GB package? As looking at fast.co.uk site they only list 5, 20, 45, 110GB options.

I read about this clause on another forum, and it's something to remember. Even though they state a 3 month contract, if you look at the terms and conditions under section 13: Termination.

13.2 In addition, if a Customer using Fast.co.uk ADSL wishes to end this Agreement before twelve (12) months have elapsed since the Commencement Date, Fast.co.uk shall be entitled to charge a termination fee (£20 + vat) when the customer took advantage of the free migration offer.

Soldato
OP
You sure it's a 30GB package? As looking at fast.co.uk site they only list 5, 20, 45, 110GB options.

I read about this clause on another forum, and it's something to remember. Even though they state a 3 month contract, if you look at the terms and conditions under section 13: Termination.

hmmm well found !

V F

V F

Soldato
Well they must be doing something right... from all the packages listed, "Online Gaming Support" Yes to all.

I've been with them a year and 6 months now.

Caporegime
I think that's just for ADSL2 isn't it?

It was planned to start in January on their normal ADSL service as well, as they were going to bring it inline with their ADSL2+ service, but everyone was going bananas about it on ADSLGuide after receiving an Email about it and requesting MAC's, so Enta. postponed the changes, and are going to talk with the resellers to sort something else out instead to stop the mass exodus. :p

They were going to change the peak times to 7 days a week, and the off peak time was going to be changed to midnight to 8am, but a bit pointless bringing everyone inline with their ADLS2+ service when not everyone can get that service yet, like me, i cant get it till end March 2011, so why bring me inline with something i cant get for over 2 years yet :D

Soldato
Here's the forum link that mentions the terms and conditions. And the reason behind the migration fee if you leave before a year is up.

And I got a pleasant anecdote about email correspondence with the company. Sent Fast.co.uk a question after 10pm on a working day. I wasn't expecting a reply as they list 10pm closing for sales and technical support. Anyway I was a surprised to receive a reply before 11pm the same night, and one that fully explained the answer.

Back
Top Bottom