Ford Fiesta Problem

Associate
I drive a 98 ford fiesta (first car). It runs a treat apart from one slight problem, happens about twice a week mainly when its cold as ive only noticed it this winter. Have had 2 garages check it out and they cannot see any reasons for this.

Basically in the morning when im driving into work i normally have to weave in and out of parked cars to get out of the road i live in, and when im coming up to the junction and slowing down the steering will get really heavy like the power steering has died, this then leads to the car cutting out and me having to turn the engine over and over a few times till it starts again.

I use the car quite a lot for work etc and it does only seem to happen in the mornings or when im leaving from work, its a very strange problem and wondered if anyone had any ideas or anything as its really annoying as im driving in the mornings just wondering when its next going to happen :p

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Soldato
Are you certain that you have the order of events correct or does the engine cut out and at the same time/just after the steering gets real heavy?

Soldato
yeah sounds like an electrical problem mate. my sisters battery was knacked in her yaris so we bumped the car it would drive put powersteering took awhile to come back. Does it always start first time in the mornings? does it have a standard immobilizer? check all connections you can get to also :)

Associate
OP
Sure the engine doesn't die out slowly? I mean, the PAS won't really work effectively with the engine rpm below about 500.

Well its hard to tell really, the first sign i get of a problem is when the steering does become heavy. I do notice that about 2 secs afterwards the battery light lights up red (dunno if that helps)

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it the 1.3 engine? Sounds like the idle control valve to me - when these go the engine will die as you come to a stop. You can sometimes clean them but in the longer term it will probably need replacing. It's a very common problem on the Ka.

Soldato
power steering pressure sensor, sits in the high pressure pipe and forces the engine to rev a bit higher when your asking more from the steering a 1.3 at idle doesn't quite have the grunt to turn a loaded pump.

Soldato
No the steering gets really heavy first, then the engine cuts out

you sure the engine aint cutting out but sounds like its running because you still in forward motion? ie as soon as you dip the clutch as you stop it dies?

Has any of the garages changed the PAS fluid?

Is it the 1.3 engine? Sounds like the idle control valve to me - when these go the engine will die as you come to a stop. You can sometimes clean them but in the longer term it will probably need replacing. It's a very common problem on the Ka.

same happend to our Nissan primera. However dad didnt believe my mum untill it happend to him at a junction that turns back on itself. Engine dies as slowing down, but really the first indication of this is the rock solid steering lol.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
you sure the engine aint cutting out but sounds like its running because you still in forward motion? ie as soon as you dip the clutch as you stop it dies?

Has any of the garages changed the PAS fluid?.

That could be it, its hard to tell as the car is still moving. I dont believe any of them has changed the PAS fluid.

I have been recommended a new garage to go try and armed with this extra information hopefully it will be sorted, but what you guys are saying about the ka and the 1.3 engine sounds exactly like what i am having.

So we will see on monday.

thanks for all the advice :D

Chris

Associate
Have you had anythin changed recently which needed the battery disconnected? Connections on the battery may be a bit knackered...happened to me once n coodnt figure out why it kept on cutting out.

Soldato
Just take it back to Ford, get it sorted under warranty.

Tell them that there is a problem, and to get it sorted. If it happens again you want a new car.

No point in having a new car if it breaks!

Associate

Tell them that there is a problem, and to get it sorted. If it happens again you want a new car.

He said it's all sorted now :p I guess he could do that if it happens again though.

Associate

Why would Ford replace a 1998 Fiesta? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom