Double DIN ICE - Pioneer FH-P80BT

Soldato
the new gen of pioneer headunits are way better than the old ones for ipod compatibility. That i will say owning both a DEH-P80MP and a newer DEH headunit with the usb cable out of the back.

Soldato
i saw it for £215 from a few places but ended up getting it from caraudiodirect for £225...consensus is that they are a bit more reliable when things go wrong and their customer service is better. thought it was worth the extra 10 quid, never had a problem with them in the past.

Soldato

Gav

Gav

Associate
as said... the american version is a bit different because it doesnt have rds and the am steppings are also different...

+ it may seem cheap until you get whacked with vat and import tax
+ you have no chance of warranty if it goes faulty.

Associate
OP
Well I finally got round to putting one of these in. It's only taken me 4 months lol:

headunit.jpg

Complete pain in the ass of a job compared to every other car I've ever put a head unit in before, but got there in the end. Just got to change the door speakers now and I'm all set :)

Associate
That looks pretty sweet, I was thinking about getting one of these, but have jsut upgraded to an Iphone 3g, so am a bit worried about compatability for bluetooth.

Odd question, I've got a Mk2 focus, and was wondering how well the standard stalk integrates with this unit (if at all), does anyone know if it will?

Soldato
Nice one mate good to see you got one. It really is a fantastic unit! have since installed a sub too and absolutely loving it. plus the unit never fails to impress all who see it.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Odd question, I've got a Mk2 focus, and was wondering how well the standard stalk integrates with this unit (if at all), does anyone know if it will?

Autoleads part number PC9-807 seems like your best bet

This interface connects a Pioneer stereo with an input (bullit line-in mini-jack on the back of the unit) to the existing stalk/steering wheel controls.

It is compatible with the following vehicles:

Ford Focus 08/98>
Ford Mondeo 01/00>

It is compatible with the following stereos:
2003/4 range: DEH-P2500/30R, DEH-P3500MP, DEH-P77MP
2004 range: DEH-1600/30R, DEH-P2600, DEH-P3600/30MP, DEH-P5600/30MP, DEH-P6600R, DEH-P7600MP, DEH-P8600MP, DEH-P9600MP

Doesn't list the radio in this post, but it's a new model so they probably haven't updated the site. Best bet would be to ask Pioneer if this unit takes the same steering wheel adaptor as the old one. Their support is pretty good the one time I called them (which was asking for info on a 15 year old amplifier I'd just bought secondhand!)

Soldato
Nice HU. Thanks for the pics! :D I've been looking at this for my Fez but I'm confused about what to get with it.

I know you need to get the extra leads for things such as, aerial, stalk controls and ISO adapter.

But can someone tell me, when you buy the HU does it come with a cage and facia? Or do I need to buy this on top?

Thanks! :)

Soldato
Looks very nice indeed but I wouldn't get one due to the fact it has no removable faceplate. In MR2s the HU is bolted into place but anyone with a bit of knowledge would have that out in minutes. Even if they don't manage to get it out you still have a lovely smashed window(s) to deal with.

Soldato
Yeah, that's the only reason stopping me getting a decent double din headunit is the fact that it might not be removable, but you've got a mangled window / door / console to deal with should they not succeed.

Associate
OP
I was a little unsure wather to go for one of these or not due to the whole lack of removable face plate, but in the end I decided that it's far too gorgeous not to have one. I may regret it, time will tell...

Firegod - That stuff mainly depends on the car in question. You get a cage and / or side mounting brackets with a new HU, but in my case I had to remove the old brackets from the original head unit and mount these to the new HU to fit it. You may or may not get away without requiring an ariel adaptor depending on the car - most modern ones are ISO but there is also another type.

A lot of modern cars use ISO connectors for the speaker and power wiring as standard so you may not even need a harness adapter. You will definatly need an adapter if you wish to keep the existing stalk controls though, and these can be pretty expensive for what they are.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Regarding the mountings, Japanese cars tend to use a set of standard bolt positions down the side of the radio, and the car will come with a cage or a set of brackets designed to work with this. Pretty much any Japanese car radio will have suitable holes, and I'd hope by now that Western companies have them too. Since with only a few exceptions (Mk4 Golf springs instantly to mind) it's only Japanese cars that have double DINs, this is the way to go IMO.

The cage with the bendy tabs is a bodge, and it gets even worse with some Japanese car radios where the mounting brackets for the cage bolt to the Japanese standard mounting holes and were quite clearly bodged on as an afterthought, so you have a bodge attaching to a bodge and the whole thing is held in by a bunch of bent metal tabs wedged against some cheap Vauxhall plastic.

I'm amazed it works at all. I'd hate to see Vauxhall plastic take the weight of a double DIN stereo.

Regarding the original radio, the lack of a tape player disappoints me. The best thing about double DIN is being able to fit all three into the unit.

Associate
I contacted Pioneer a few days ago asking:

Hi I am interested in buying the Pioneer FH-P80BT. I would like to know if the head unit is able to connect and charge the iPhone 3g?

The unit is compatible with September 2007 ipods, but it doesn't give any information in regards to the iPhone 3g.

The reply:

Good Afternoon

I can confirm that the I-Phone 3g will work and charge fine with this head unit.

Best regards,

Pioneer

Ortho there was a nice disclaimer saying this information might not be accurate below it.

Back
Top Bottom