Ejecting external harddisks - a stupid question..

Associate
Well I have a few external harddisks attached to my iMac. From time to time I eject those as they seem to be more quiet that way.

But how do I attach it again after such a reject? Do I really have to turn the harddisk off and the on?

Are your harddisks always attached?

Stupid question I am sure...

Merry Christmas to all OC'ers :)

Soldato
In the energy saver preferences there's an option to spin the drives down when they're not in use. This will mean they're quiet and still mounted in Finder for when you need them!

Associate
OP
In the energy saver preferences there's an option to spin the drives down when they're not in use. This will mean they're quiet and still mounted in Finder for when you need them!

Cheers... I had a look though and I had that one marked.. Does it affect external drives as well? It only seems to be working with my internal drive...

Will try and see what happens.

Thanks

Associate
Depending on the drive OS power saving may not work too well .

I have a western digital mybook which has its own firmware power saving that you cannot disable. This does not work well at all and the drive wakes itself up frequently for no reason whatsoever.

If you are clicking on the icon next to the device in the side bar of Finder, you are actually unmounting the drive rather than ejecting it, in which case you can remount in disk utility. If you are in fact ejecting from Disk utility, try unmounting instead.

Back
Top Bottom