[Weekend Steam Deal] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl for £3.49

Soldato
Poor game IMHO. The guns are rubbish (and the targetting system was awful). Initially you think you can run anywhere but you can't as soon as you want to investigate you get the 'radiation' warning - commenly known as you can't go there.

When I originally played it, it was unfinished rubbish. Now it's just rubbish. The sequel is no better either (for lots of reasons I could go into). You can get it in most second hand games shops for £1.

M.

Permabanned
Mines messed up, probs my pc isnt good enough. Can get the thq logo but can't see the menu. So i pressed enter and it started a new game ^^ Got past the cutscene at the start fine, then talked to that guy behind the till. Then when i turned around to go out of the building the screen starts flashing with the browny colour of the floor and i can move, just can't see where i'm going :(

What are your PC specs?

Permabanned
Poor game IMHO. The guns are rubbish (and the targetting system was awful). Initially you think you can run anywhere but you can't as soon as you want to investigate you get the 'radiation' warning - commenly known as you can't go there.

When I originally played it, it was unfinished rubbish. Now it's just rubbish. The sequel is no better either (for lots of reasons I could go into). You can get it in most second hand games shops for £1.

M.

Looks like I overpaid by £2.49 then ;-(

Soldato

M.

Targeting system awful?
You manually point at your target and press shoot, how is that awful?
Accuracy is pants for auto fire, as it should be, single shot is fine.

You can roam a huge amount, I know I have, not straight away you need an ok-ish suit first to help with rad.

It's not rubbish

Soldato

M.

Classic "I don't like it, therefore it's rubbish" post.

Ogs

Ogs

Associate
Id couldnt recommend the Steam version to anyone, even at this price, as there are some noticable differences between Steam & Retail. Theres small things like the game not auto detecting that your machine can handle higher graphics or mouse movement having some kind of "sway" to it, then bigger things like shadows at the edges of the screen not rendering correctly or from a distance, and overall image quality doesnt look right (and this is with the exact same settings chosen in game on both). There is a reason why (i think the retail installer checks your system, then creates the correct config files in the STALKER-SHOC folder), whereas Steam doesnt bother, and so uses all the defaults GSC didnt correct. Technically you could fix all these in Steam if you know what the numerous console commands are otherwise your out of luck :(. Il try and get some screenshots up showing exactly what i mean.

Sel

Sel

Associate
Well that was money wasted as it won't work, It boots and runs but I carn't see it I get a black screen with my monitor searching for an input.

AMD 4800 x2
WinXP SP3
Latest drivers
8800 gts
2gig ram

Associate
Is there any must have mods for this then? Some people mentioned a few earlier on....

Bought it this morning and will look at installing it sometime when I get bored this festive season!

Soldato
Is there any must have mods for this then? Some people mentioned a few earlier on....

Bought it this morning and will look at installing it sometime when I get bored this festive season!

I use the Stalker Weather Overhaul v2.2.2 (which includes Sky4CE_MOD_v1.77 and S.H.A.R.P.E.R-Textures_v.0.95), Realistic headlamp 1.3 and SOUND overhaul 107RC2

Ogs

Ogs

Associate
Associate
Guys
This is a steel at this price ,or any other offer out there, play it through vanilla first then go mod crazy !!
I am constantly surprised at the skills of the modding community especially as there is no offical SDK .I find myself playing Oblivion ,then back to Stalker, then Fallout 3, then back to Stalker etc... and it still is one of the most scary and atmosperic games around.....

Associate
Not sure if im looking in the right place but i think:
CPU 3.06ghz
3.06ghz
1.00gb RAM
And its XP sp3

1gb RAM, you're really going to struggle with that on Stalker. I think 2gb is about the min!

i had 4gb in vista when it first came out and it used well over half ot it!! (i know vista uses more, but still 1gb is not enough)

What GFX card have you got? my old X1950 used to play up a bit and that had 512mb ram!!

Associate
Guys
This is a steel at this price ,or any other offer out there, play it through vanilla first then go mod crazy !!
I am constantly surprised at the skills of the modding community especially as there is no offical SDK .I find myself playing Oblivion ,then back to Stalker, then Fallout 3, then back to Stalker etc... and it still is one of the most scary and atmosperic games around.....

+1 this is my fave game of all time. I love it. I like Clear sky too, have done from day 1, its even better now with some mods!

Associate
Oblivion lost (i've not used it but eveyone say it make the game so much better/harder/scary, i think with that you can drive some cars etc??, night are so dark its black + **** loads more stuff)) I've used some SHARPER packs to make it look a bit nicer and a wieght mod so i can carry a bit more. i know thats cheating but it means you can have a bit more fun and not have to worry all the time about how much to carry.

Permabanned
I tried to install the 'realism' mod which supposedly does work with the Steam version of the game, but upon launch the game crashed. The game worked when I uninstalled the mod. I most wanted the mod to work because it raises your eye level apparently. Is there any other way of doing that, perhaps a console command? I can't get used to the eye level being so low.

Associate
Still available.?

Damnit is this still available.?
Any chance someone can find out when this expires.? Wont get home till 10ish tonight and have no remote access as work is now blocking ssh :(

Anyone fancy gifting it for me and i'll payback ??

Back
Top Bottom