Virginmedia expected to make their 50mb announcement today

Associate
377651996.png

Associate
Yes definitely... Although, sorry I forgot to mention he called up and registered the mac address of the modem with the tech guys -- took 30 seconds.

Again, all of this I could have done with ease. I guess part of it is they need to get the old one and also they want to make some $$$.

Soldato
Geeeeez

He could have at least checked the modem power levels and line noise.

I'm pretty shocked , As you say it's just a way of making money.

Commissario
IIRC it's because it requires an engineer to check the signal levels, I think because it's using different frequencies to the normal DOCSIS 1 modems virgin supplied, and it's using a wider range of frequencies it needs an engineer to make sure that everything is ok.

I suspect it also slows down the rate of adoption, giving them a chance to spot possible problems in each area before too many people will be affected.

Soldato
IIRC it's because it requires an engineer to check the signal levels, I think because it's using different frequencies to the normal DOCSIS 1 modems virgin supplied, and it's using a wider range of frequencies it needs an engineer to make sure that everything is ok.

I suspect it also slows down the rate of adoption, giving them a chance to spot possible problems in each area before too many people will be affected.

Thats what i thought but i've heard from a few people they just swap the modem like carvegio if you read from post #122 and then leave without checking much of anything.

Good point about slowing down adoption by using engineers that would make sense.

Associate
Look at the modems status - it's usually http://192.168.100.1 and it's normally root/root to login. If it's anything else it *usually* says the details on the first page.

As to what is "normal" for 50Mb. . . . no idea.

Sorry should have said, I tried 192.168.100.1 and it didn't work.

Will have a look around tomorrow -- not too fussed I think the speeds look right.

Soldato
carvegio

Did you have the VIP package before you upgraded ? (Telephone-Internet-Cable TV etc etc) if so may i ask how much your paying per month for 50mb as we are getting (bleeped) off with Virginmedia as everytime we phone to arrange the upgrade we are givin different information and pricing.We are on the VIP package and we have been quoted 4 prices per month £35 ,£37 ,£47 and £52 and we asked to speak to the manager of sales and the line went dead :mad:

after being with them for 15years we are somewhat disscusted as when they where Telewest/Blueyonder they couldn't do enough to help,Now it seems there customer care is close to zero.

Soldato
Got an installation date of the 15th :). Does anyone know the model of router+dongle they supply you? All I know is they're from Netgear and shipped after they've installed? Surely it would be better if they gave the router/dongle when they installed the modem?

Back
Top Bottom