Best driving roads in the UK?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
it looks a bit straight and boring to me?

B@

Exactly, so my car can drive itself with no input really. It also connects my house with oxford reading and henley, the three places i generally go, its perfect. Have i missed the point? :D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
TBH mate i was only putting it down as its my favourite road because without it i would be trapped in my house :p

Associate
All pretty average compared to some of the B roads arounds the area, I love the one from Aber to Borth.

Yeah, but I've not been there in years as I don't have family back out that way anymore so don't remember the names of them. Lampeter to Tregaron and back down to Cwmann was a good short mix of A road and B road.

Man of Honour
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...,-2.61849&sspn=0.301635,0.604248&ie=UTF8&z=12

This is one of my favourites at the moment. It's pretty epic - it runs right along the top of a hill so tall you spend a good 3rd of a mile passing many tall radio transmitters. There are curves but plenty of straights. It's... shall we say quite a fast road and great for overtaking. The amount of times I've been able to pull overtakes without varying my speed (Simply come up behind, out and round) is great.

Brilliant road. I'd imagine its quite dangerous if you get carried away - few good corners in dips as well and you can feel the suspension travel as you hit the dip, which at speed is always interesting :D

Soldato
Just not long back from a blast down the A70 from Lanark to Edinburgh. Pretty fun road in the dark with some patches of fog at a ton. Some really straight bits with nice bends but some really,really sharpt corners!

The M8 on the way back was so boring :(

Associate
Just not long back from a blast down the A70 from Lanark to Edinburgh. Pretty fun road in the dark with some patches of fog at a ton. Some really straight bits with nice bends but some really,really sharpt corners!

The M8 on the way back was so boring :(

That will be the road aka the Lang Whang then?

Soldato
Absolutely Fantastic.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...82775&sspn=0.026507,0.070982&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

Buxton - Macclesfield via the Cat and Fiddle. Sadly mostly 50mph with helicopters overhead. But the twisty parts are all pretty slow so its not too bad :D

Agreed!

Used to love that stretch of road on the bike! Cant enjoy it as much on 4 wheels but when something goes a bit wrong your chances of survival are far higher, lost 2 friends to that stretch of road. Luckily some git lives right at one end! (Paradigm)

I came over it a few weeks ago at night, about -3 degrees and I was very tired after being in the car for 5 hours already (M6 closure) but I still enjoyed it and was amazed at how I still knew the layout of it even after a long time of not driving it. Plus it was dark!

Soldato
OK I'm the only one who lives around here then evidently :D So a couple of my favourite roads/routes:

Ranmore Common Road, near Dorking:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...=51.244187,-0.405807&spn=0.0821,0.154495&z=13

VERY tight roads, and if you get stuck behind someone, you're buggered, and best off pulling over for a couple of minutes and waiting, but the chances of that happening for very long (i.e. more than a minute whilst someone turns off down one of the earlier houses/roads) are very slim because there's bypass roads.

Loads of bends, some very tight, and a couple of straight fast bits, and a couple of dips that are interesting if you hit fast :D

And also Pirbright Bends of course ;)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...1.299067,-0.681152&spn=0.082002,0.154495&z=13

Ther'e known for being pretty lethal!

Back
Top Bottom