Hanns-G HG281DP 28" Widescreen Any good, really??

Permabanned
I have just got one i am very happy with it.

I have a qestion however,i'm using the hdmi to dvi cable in the nvidia control panel i can select the signal format i would like to use. It set as the none hd format then i have the differant hd options 1080p hdtv, 1080i hdtv all the way down to 480p.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes and No. This is a problem with RGB levels, setting whatever codec your using to output at 16-235 will fix this black crush. However, the screen isnt great at picking out dark details even after this fix. But, in fairness i am used to an HD projector for my films.

Yeah I didn't really explain my issue correctly, but it still sounds the same as yours.

blacklevels.png

Own hosting.

This image shows concentric rectangles ranging from RGB level 10,10,10 on the outside to 0,0,0 in the centre. What I'm experiencing is that it becomes progressively darker as one would expect, until 4,4,4 when it starts to become lighter and then at 2,2,2 it becomes noticeably lighter. Anything below 2,2,2 is the same lightness. The effect is most noticeable when the image is blown up to fullscreen.

This gets quite annoying in games because all the really dark spots become silhouetted against the surrounding slightly-less dark spots!

Associate
Yeah I didn't really explain my issue correctly, but it still sounds the same as yours.

blacklevels.png

Own hosting.

This image shows concentric rectangles ranging from RGB level 10,10,10 on the outside to 0,0,0 in the centre. What I'm experiencing is that it becomes progressively darker as one would expect, until 4,4,4 when it starts to become lighter and then at 2,2,2 it becomes noticeably lighter. Anything below 2,2,2 is the same lightness. The effect is most noticeable when the image is blown up to fullscreen.

This gets quite annoying in games because all the really dark spots become silhouetted against the surrounding slightly-less dark spots!

I am also annoyed by this but couldn't really explain it properly. It is most noticable for me in dark area's of films. thought i had set the brightness/contrast or colours incorrectly.

Associate
help, had one of these for ages. Got a new 360 the other day and thought i'd hook it up to the monitor. Its the new 360 so has the HDMI connection so have gone HDMI to HDMI in the monitor but the 360 will only give me 480p all the others are grey out

Anyone got around this?

Cheers

Associate
I am also annoyed by this but couldn't really explain it properly. It is most noticable for me in dark area's of films. thought i had set the brightness/contrast or colours incorrectly.

I'm watching The Dark Knight and the beam of the Bat Signal appears darker than the surrounding night sky! :eek:

Associate
Just came across this thread in google by accident while trying to find a driver for this monitor, not sure why as its superb just the way it is. I notice its gone up £50 since i bought it :eek:

I have a question regarding this monitor or any HD monitor i guess, which ive wanted to ask for a while:

I was considering buying a Wii - Is it possible to connect one to this monitor or will it only work through a TV?

Soldato
Have to say, I am absolutely loving this monitor. The extra desktop real estate is brilliant.

Only 2 problems - I recently sold my 2nd 4850 thinking I would be sticking with my 22" monitor for years and it would have come in really handy now. Though I am surprised how well a single 4850 handles this res.

2nd problem - All my photos now look a lot worse seeing. Imperfections in photos are just showing up so much more.

While I have not done any video editing since getting it, I have opened up Vegas and I can see its going to be so much nicer to use now.

Am also very happy with using my 360 on it. I find the monitors scaling works very nicely.

Associate
Sorry to bump this thread, but there seems to be a few different models of this monitor. Can anyone clarify what the differences are?
The models I have come across are: HG281D, HG281DJ, HG281DP and HG281DPB

Are they all exactly the same? and if so, why is there so many different model numbers?

Associate
Just got this as my main crimbo prezzie,and i'm blown away :)

Got one question though?.What are the best settings to use on this monitor

i.e.contrast,brightness,colour etc

Got mine set at brightness =30,contrast=55,xcontrast off,everything else default

Just wondering what other peeps have there's at?

This things brighter than the sun when you first turn it on :)

Associate
Just got this as my main crimbo prezzie,and i'm blown away :)

Got one question though?.What are the best settings to use on this monitor

i.e.contrast,brightness,colour etc

Got mine set at brightness =30,contrast=55,xcontrast off,everything else default

Just wondering what other peeps have there's at?

This things brighter than the sun when you first turn it on :)
When i got it, it was way too bright, so i turned the brightness way down to 10 - Contrast is at 80.

Looks good for films, black actually looks black rather than dark grey ;)

Back
Top Bottom