Tell me about RX8s (231BHP)

Caporegime
i reckon i could hang with one in my Corolla...and that only has like 133lb torque;)

(well infact i know i can because i have done;) same with leon cupra and octavia VRS)

except the RX8 would feel more special and looks better imo.

there are some abolute bargains on RX8 at the moment though as stated well worth a look into...

Associate
I can tell you that i've just bought a 231bhp RX8!!! :D

Ticket price £9000 (got £450 knocked off that + trade in for £1000)
'06 plate
22k miles
and its the evolve limited edition copper red (only 500 in the uk) (i know the nemesis had the same colour, but this was first :p )

They gave me £1000 for my seat leon 1.4s (2002) with a caved in rear passenger door, no service history, severe water flooding issues including severe damp through to the sound ending, rattling exhaust, engine management light on, failed leccy windows, and more.

I pick it up on 2nd jan. Can't wait.

Torque engine it's not. But there is no better alternative car, that fitted my needs and on the market at this price - nothing.

Criteria was:

4 seats (proper) + boot space
can be an aggressive sports car and a civil transporter when needed
Unique styling + rarity on the road
Nice place to be when driving

I know the complaints on economy, but i'll probably do 7k miles a year so i'm not worried as it'll be my commuter instead of the train and the costs will more or less balance each other out.

CANT WAIT!!!

Merry xmas!

Soldato
The 911, NSX and Elise times were all in the "very wet".

also worth mentioning that this is a good illustration of what the Top Gear test track does.

NSX-R is a serious weapon. Have a look for the video of one against a Gallardo, Murcilago, 911 Turbo, 360, & M3 CSL around the motegi twin ring circuit. up until the last lap the NSX-R was going to win and it was what, 300 bhp down on the lambos?

Granted, BMI are biased as hell toward honda, but with a straight face say the rx8 is 1 second a lap behind the performance of an NSX-R

Soldato
i forgot rwd.

DC5 for 8k? where...?

a dc5 at that mileage and age would cost near £12k, beyond my budget really.

I honestly, 100% dont get this.

how is RWD a requirement for you? on the roads you will never in reasonable circumstances be able to see a performance difference between the two, and you didnt just say you do a load of track action....

sorry its not aimed at you, but I just wonder why people have RWD as a requirement.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Sports cars generally have RWD as its better at putting moderate power down to the ground effectively, look at the size of tyre you can fit on a typical RWD car (bmw used 255mm wide, porsche 285+ etc) - these would be unthinkable to have at the steering end as it would limit steering angle and become too heavy.

High powered FWD cars can also be a sod to keep in a straight line under acceleration as torque steer becomes an issue. It is preferable to have the steering wheels free to steer rather than accelerate and steer, compromising both.

A RWD car with a proper Limited Slip Differential and half decent chasis can be very enjoyable to drive for an enthusiast.

Soldato
Sports cars generally have RWD as its better at putting moderate power down to the ground effectively, look at the size of tyre you can fit on a typical RWD car (bmw used 255mm wide, porsche 285+ etc) - these would be unthinkable to have at the steering end as it would limit steering angle and become too heavy.

High powered FWD cars can also be a sod to keep in a straight line under acceleration as torque steer becomes an issue. It is preferable to have the steering wheels free to steer rather than accelerate and steer, compromising both.

A RWD car with a proper Limited Slip Differential and half decent chasis can be very enjoyable to drive for an enthusiast.

And that would be a fantastic post, if it wasnt for the fact that I can say hand on heart I would think a DC5 ITR would be just as fun as my s2000 for general hooning around. Unless you start getting up to serious power levels 300+ or ther are already issues (suspension, traction etc) then I don't see how RWD will suddenly make a car loads more fun for your average petrol head who goes for a drive through the dales every other weekend. Unless your doing some serious track action I dont genuinely believe you will get miles more fun from a RWD than a FWD.

Associate
And that would be a fantastic post, if it wasnt for the fact that I can say hand on heart I would think a DC5 ITR would be just as fun as my s2000 for general hooning around. Unless you start getting up to serious power levels 300+ or ther are already issues (suspension, traction etc) then I don't see how RWD will suddenly make a car loads more fun for your average petrol head who goes for a drive through the dales every other weekend. Unless your doing some serious track action I dont genuinely believe you will get miles more fun from a RWD than a FWD.

Id agree with you there, the engine in the DC5 will give more smiles than having rwd in the rx8 imo. Absolutely fantastic engine I really wish my dc2 had one :p

Associate
Low milage and newish was not in your criteria. And ive seen quite a few dc5s for around 8k, some even less. Have a look on itr-dc5.com or pistonheads

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/821578.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/810980.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/776499.htm

Sorry, i mentally put it aside when writing the post but i was limited to around 8k cast + trade in. Also i've got a mental thing about mileage i want 40k or less.

Fair enough on the DC5's listed - though they are 7 years old and nearer 60k.

i know i didn't list this i know but I do have a fair few professional engagements on a regular basis. Appearances are what they are and a DC5 would give off a bit of an out of character impression. (sound silly but hey).

I'm happy with my purchase and if i was in a position to buy a weekend toy and a weekday workhorse, insure, tax, and run them both then I would probably have gone a different route.

The RX8 gives me everything i want and makes me smile whenever i've driven it (my mate has a 192 and lets me have a go every now and again). I'm well happy i'm getting one, despite the inevitable conversations about modern day fuel prices.

BTW - thanks to this thread for some opinions and advice.!!

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, i mentally put it aside when writing the post but i was limited to around 8k cast + trade in. Also i've got a mental thing about mileage i want 40k or less.

Fair enough on the DC5's listed - though they are 7 years old and nearer 60k.

i know i didn't list this i know but I do have a fair few professional engagements on a regular basis. Appearances are what they are and a DC5 would give off a bit of an out of character impression. (sound silly but hey).

I'm happy with my purchase and if i was in a position to buy a weekend toy and a weekday workhorse, insure, tax, and run them both then I would probably have gone a different route.

The RX8 gives me everything i want and makes me smile whenever i've driven it (my mate has a 192 and lets me have a go every now and again). I'm well happy i'm getting one, despite the inevitable conversations about modern day fuel prices.

BTW - thanks to this thread for some opinions and advice.!!

Huh? How does the rx8 give a better impression than a dc5?

Hope your happy with the rx8 anyway, its a good car.

Merry Xmas.

Back
Top Bottom