Building Computers

Associate
Didnt know what to call the thread btw :p

Right, What i wanna do is build computers, ive always wanted to do it. I've been goin through the OC Forums and seeing all these people knowing how to put together computers, fix them, etc. And I was wondering, any1 know of a collage course or uni course i could do that would send me down this route, fixing, building and in general enjoyin computers.

Any help would be apprecated

Soldato
To build? dont bother going to college, its easy, use the internet, or even better, these forums :)

Although there are courses out there that will teach you, its pointless as its money wasted, it really isnt that hard to build a pc once you have done it for the first time.

Soldato
For general PC repairs, building you'll learn more on your own building your own, but be warned, for the most part you won't be building high end, super rigs, you'll be messing around with outdated, old and boring stuff, imo at least.

You'll be lucky to get a job, i.e. like at OcUK where they do custom builds as it is generally extremely easy to do now adays, combine that with a large supply of people able to build and repair PC's themselves. However find a niche and who knows :)

Edit - Not that I am taking anything away from the guys at OcUK, they do a fantastic job, as shown by that latest thread, but I doubt they just do that, I imagine they are involved in the day to day aspects of the business as well.

Soldato
Most motherboard manuals will tell you everything you need to know about building PCs. At least it worked for me first time I build mine.

Soldato
If you get a spec list from the guys in General Hardware, you can't really go wrong. It just fits together.

Then when it's built, come and ask us for tips on how to configure it:cool:

Soldato
just get down to your local bootsale/market/check freeads/etc for people giving away and selling old systems for a few pound. pull a few systems together and get tinkering. It won't be cutting edge, but that's not the point.

You might get lucky with some companies chucking out there old pc's.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I learnt everything off the internet.. Built my first pc on my own and it started first time... Woo!

I was pretty knowledgable a few years ago when it came to the best/latest hardware.. But now I look at the main ocuk page and think :O wtf 1gb gfx cards, quad cores and 4gb ram is standard?!

Oh how times move on...

Best time ever was watching my xfx 6600gt set fire to my computer (mosfets went mental) and getting a brand new 7800gtx in the post which was brand new and worth about £230 at the time :D

Soldato
I learnt everything off the internet.. Built my first pc on my own and it started first time... Woo!

I was pretty knowledgable a few years ago when it came to the best/latest hardware.. But now I look at the main ocuk page and think :O wtf 1gb gfx cards, quad cores and 4gb ram is standard?!

Oh how times move on...

Best time ever was watching my xfx 6600gt set fire to my computer (mosfets went mental) and getting a brand new 7800gtx in the post which was brand new and worth about £230 at the time :D

lol, that brought back memories of my watercooling attempt :p

The black widow is a tight case you know :( it all went wrong

Soldato
Too be fair, if you have installed a OS on a computer before, you shouldn't really need to worry.. as every think just plugs in to the mother board.

I got a brand new dell when i was 14 i had it for 3 months before i took the hard drive and cpu out to build my own.. its very simple.

Soldato
I learned from reading books about it from the library, but that was before internet became affordable.

And I agree with the idea of getting some old PCs to tinker with. Just mind the motherboard power cables in very old machines, it's possible to get them the wrong way up and then you get a nice fire!

Soldato
all 'education' is BS.

the somehow manage to fill it all in the crap that is not neccesary or drag out the simplest of things until its the last thing you want to do in life.

if you want to leanr, and enjoy it.. buy some parts and get stuck in.

tutorials online etc can help (here included)

Back
Top Bottom