Books to boost my knowledge..

Associate
Wasnt really sure where to put this, so feel free to move it if you want.

I'm 16, currently working at a local business for manning the shop and workshop on Saturdays and also filling in during the weeks occasionly when people are away etc.

I feel I'm fairly knowledgeable for someone of my age, however, would like to expand my knowledge, and well, know more!

I'm pretty good at repairing them, and know what im talking about, however, I'm by no means an "expert" but good for someone of my age.

I'd just really like a book or two that will cover a bit of everything, about computers, hardware, repairing them, all the jargon with them.

Would also like (dont mind getting a seperate book) that will also explain a fair bit about networking and servers (SBS2003 especially) for someone who has little knowledge about it.

If you could point us in the direction of any good books, it would be very much apprechiated!

Thanks,

Dave

Soldato
One book I think is great but I use more for reference (as its a beast of a book, not really something for bed time reading) is this:

Hardware Bible - Winn L. Rosch

It's a doorstop and a half but its very in depth and reads at a level suitable for all. It covers everything you could imagine that is hardware related. Its probably due another edition update as the 6th edition is now 4 or 5 years old but 90% of it is regarding architecture that will never date (well within reason :))

Soldato
I never found any IT books remotely interesting, the best way for me was to learn by talking to people you know who are more knowledgeable, like your colleagues, and berating them with questions until you're satisfied.

Also these forums aren't a bad place to hang to pick up a few tricks of the trade!

Associate
OP
£115, which doesnt seem much, but when your at college only working a couple of days a week and just started driving so got those costs looming over you, its hard to find the money!

Luckily we have a place in Brighton that you can take it :)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom