PSU or MOBO dead?

Associate
Hello all..

Got an irritating problem you might be able to help me out with..

I have a computer running with a Corsair 620W psu, Asus P5K motherboard and some other stuff..

It has been running well for the last year or so, but today I got a problem. The computer was on standby, so I woke it up as normal.. It did not wake, but tried to restart a couple of times (or at least that was what it sounded like) - there was never any signal to the monitor.

Oh well I closed down the PC by holding down the power button for a few secs. Tried to restart the computer but nothing happend AT ALL.. No spinning discs or fans no light on the cabinet buttons - 99% dead (mobo LED was on).

Tried to take out all cables and re-insert those - no luck. Tried to disconnect as many items as possible - nada. One ram module etc - nothing helped.

I first thought it was my Corsair 620, so for the fun of it I tried another PSU. This one only had a 20 pin connector, but I reckon if it was the PSU the other one would perhaps be able to give some sort of sign - but nothing happend.

Unplugged the Corsair and bridged the green+black wire and turned it on without the 24 plug in the mobo. Drives, fans and so on turned on... So that kind of indicates the PSU is still ok - right?

I got an idea that it just might be the contact on the cabinet, so I shorted the right pins on the small irritating wires on the mobo - but that didn't do anything.

I have no other things to test with, so I probably need to start purchasing until I fix the problem :(

Does it sound like a dead mobo?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys - I was afraid it would be the mobo (so boring to replace).

Good news though is that I found a demo version of the same mobo in another online store, so the replacement will be rather cheap and hopefully without any re-install of Vista.

I will return soon.

Soldato
It could be a total corruption of the Cmos, a full cmos clear might fix it. Power off computer, remove ATX, and ATX+12 cables from the motherboard (the main power cables), remove the cmos battery, and then short the clr cmos jumper for 5 minutes. Replace jumper to normal position, refit battery and finally power leads.

If that doesnt work, then something is broken for sure. I've known several computers which have needed that proceedure to boot up after a powercut.

Associate
OP
It could be a total corruption of the Cmos, a full cmos clear might fix it. Power off computer, remove ATX, and ATX+12 cables from the motherboard (the main power cables), remove the cmos battery, and then short the clr cmos jumper for 5 minutes. Replace jumper to normal position, refit battery and finally power leads.

If that doesnt work, then something is broken for sure. I've known several computers which have needed that proceedure to boot up after a powercut.

Should have done that to begin with....
Cleared CMOS and it booted like normal.
New order cancelled!
Thanks a million - and DOH to me for not trying the obvious.
:)

Back
Top Bottom