Top Clown returns Sunday 2nd November 2008 **SPOILERS**

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13170142 said:
Oddly I was watching Charley Boormans 'By Any Means', when he did Vietnam he wasn't allowed to drive as apparently foreigners cannot? Not sure how the TG team got away with it.
from the looks of it i think they were on bikes as well. I think the restrictions are only car based???? Im making it up.

Soldato
This was a real Top Clown episode more than Top Gear. I enjoyed it though as it was a great travelogue and trip as the three of them can do entertaining and informative. I just wish that these episodes were not called top gear as where was the meaningful informative bit about cars.

The main thing I came away with last night was the urge to buy a little old scooter and go away for a few days as despite being absurd it looked like great fun!

Soldato
Though that column was only a couple of months ago - I would expect they filmed that Vietnam trip before.

Clarkson made a joke about Jonathon Ross when they were ordering their suits, about he would need a bigger one now or something like that. So I think they must've filmed it pretty recently! Who knows :)

Man of Honour
Perhaps the size of bike made a difference, TG were all on small engined scooters, iirc the bikes on 'by any means' were bigger.

By Any Means was about any sort of transport - from 50cc bikes to 8 litre powerboats. I think the vehicle they couldnt drive was a Jeep type thing.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13172554 said:
By Any Means was about any sort of transport - from 50cc bikes to 8 litre powerboats. I think the vehicle they couldnt drive was a Jeep type thing.

Yeah I watched it as well. They were not allowed to drive cars/vans etc in Vietnam. While they were being driven to the next spot, they did have a little drive of the car/jeep but on a quiet road. After they got dropped off, they hopped onto the bikes for some off roading.

I think it was the second to last episode of the series!

Associate
I found this episode too staged.

Clarkson being the worst actor out the bunch just made the 'joke' scenes awkward.

Saying that though,him falling off the bike was funny. :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13169896 said:
You win 5 internet coolpoints.
Oh so people can't give their opinion now without you having a pop? Get a grip / go for a 'fap' to release that tension.

I thought it was a good episode - not amazing (thought the yank one was better) but still a good watch.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Is it me, or does Hammond pull off any ridiculous clothing? The helmet and the suit looked great on him!

If they didn't plan and stage the show there would be nothing worth viewing and they would spend much more license £££ waiting for something interesting to happen, or we'd get a 20 episode road trip like the long way down which would get old very quickly.

Associate
How much were those suits again? £70. Bargain.

It looks as though they don't have to be bright neon either, and it would be interesting to see if those ladies could do a passible saville row replica.

Soldato
i got a suit and shirt tailored when i was in bangkok last. Excellent quality, and cashmere wool. perfect fit. They keep your measurements as well so you can order more from home.

That episode reminded me so much of travelling in that part of the world. WE hired out some 125cc scooters and it was great fun, until my clumsy friend stacked his and had to pay a fair wedge to the hostel for the damage.

Man of Honour
Top Gear's budget has been cut for 2009, so they've had to compromise on what they do. They're compromising in a very TG way though:

So in 2009 the budget cut has to affect what you watch, and Clarkson has had a brainwave in making this as painless as possible. Basically instead of trimming back a little bit on every show - losing a helicopter here or a truck crash there - we’ll endeavour to make 13 of our 14 shows as per the usual Jerry Bruckheimer standard, and then the last one, when we only have a tenner left, will be utter, utter [a word considered to be A Naughty Bad Word on this forum].

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2008/12/30/top-year/

Back
Top Bottom