Tell me about RX8s (231BHP)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've owned a supposedly great handling FWD car and the handling of it made the car boring and difficult to drive fast, it was a fiat coupe 20VT. Being back in a RWD 2 seater with allot less power is infinitely more fun.

Fiat Coupe is not renowned for being a great handling car is it? Certianly nowhere near the likes of the DC2/DC5.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fiat Coupe is not renowned for being a great handling is it? Certianly nowhere near the likes of the DC2/DC5.

I think you've accidentally summed up part of the issue for people who prefer RWD cars. I would honestly say the majority of RWD cars are fun to drive (even if they lack power) when you are pushing hard or playing. Even general fodder like Carltons, Sierras, Volvo 940s are fun once you get them oversteering with a bit of clutch abuse :D

To have the same level of enjoyment/hooliganism in a FWD car it generally needs to be a really really good one - Integra Type-R, FTO, 106 GTI etc.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I think you've accidentally summed up part of the issue for people who prefer RWD cars. I would honestly say the majority of RWD cars are fun to drive (even if they lack power) when you are pushing hard or playing. Even general fodder like Carltons, Sierras, Volvo 940s are fun once you get them oversteering with a bit of clutch abuse :D

To have the same level of enjoyment/hooliganism in a FWD car it generally needs to be a really really good one - Integra Type-R, FTO, 106 GTI etc.

Oh I agree entirely, a FWD car has to be good to be a lot of fun., but it's pretty easy to have fun in almost any RWD :D

Permabanned
Fiat Coupe is not renowned for being a great handling car is it? Certianly nowhere near the likes of the DC2/DC5.

Its meant to be good, but your right, its certainly not a contender for the best, definitely meant to be decent though.

Soldato
Even honda thought RWD was best for the NSX and S2000 ;)

It's not whether the car is RWD thats the issue, its OMG RWD IS A REQUIREMENT FOR ULTIMATE HAX0R LOLAGE!.... I chose the s2k based on its look, noise and overall performance... the fact its RWD wasnt something that influenced me in the slightest.

Depends what sort of roads you regularly drive on and how you drive I suppose. I'm better suited to RWD.

One of the main things I miss when I have a FWD car is the ability to lock the rear wheels on aggressive downchanges.

I have absolutely nothing against FWD cars, I just don't enjoy them as much as RWD ones :)

In fairness lopez your probably one of the few people who is a genuine exception to the rule. Your actually one of the few people on here who can claim to be a top driver. Having the experience you do from road rallys etc means you could probably get in a stock car, and then after a car with slight amendments (lets say a fast road geo) and say 'its different because' However, im sure even you wouldnt choose 2 identically performing cars just because one is RWD, heck, a 205 GTi was your rally car wasnt it !

Man of Honour
Thanks for the compliment dude but I wouldn't class myself as a top driver. I have no official schooling, just years of driving too quickly down narrow lanes. I'd certainly like to think of myself as better than average (but wouldn't we all!)
Fast A road stuff isn't really my domain, I come into my own down single track lanes in the middle of the night which I suppose is quite a niche area of performance driving!

There is a tool for every job, if you want to hang the arse out and be spectacular for the adoring public then it's RWD every time. If you want to make progress then FWD can be a real bonus until you start getting over 3-400bhp which isn't my realm anyway. Kate's Golf and my Manta have similar levels of power and dry grip. If it was chucking it down and I needed to rush her to hospital I wouldn't even think about firing up the Opel....

205 GTI is much eaiser to hurl down the lanes than a Sierra or dare I say it a Corolla AE86 but there's a bit of a showboater in me and that's where RWD pulls out its trump card for me.

Associate
well, after all that, cancelled my order this morning and got back my deposit.

Just secured a parking space at the office and so will be driving to work everyday next year. Cannot justigy 16mpg doing that. Calculations worked out to over £800 cheaper per annum if i were to get a car that did 30mpg.

Back to looking at Bimmers, and funnily enough the celica.

Associate
why not get a dc2 they are a performance bargain now and i get 40mpg doing 110 miles round the m25/m3 each day.

Edit - nm I forgot you dont want a "chav" car(although any celica worth having has a big wing) ;)

Back
Top Bottom