Any 3D Artists in here?

Associate
I've dabbled a bit in Povray, but only seriously basic stuff. I've always been fascinated with ray-tracing, and I used to love checking out what people can come up with on sites such as IRTC.
For ray-tracing today, is it best to move onto something more recent than Povray, or is that still a good thing to use?
I could really do with a book or something to teach me how to come up with images like these:

http://www.irtc.org/

Associate
EDIT: these arnt the best renders, i do this in my spare time and ive learnt how to do this on my own, very little help apart from the odd tutorial :)

main.php

main.php

main.php

Old Renders:

main.php

main.php

WIP:
main.php

for bigger renders, check out my Gallery

Associate
OP
Thats some nice work you've got there Mint_Sauce! have you ever had a go at applying for a 3D company?

P.S. Sime, I didn't know we had someone on the forums who is working on Obsedian Edge 2! I've been following the progress on that for quite some time - it looks like its going to be brilliant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow! You guys are amazing! I am deffo inspired to try it out! :) 3DS £2000+....oh dear!

I think there is a cheaper version of it out called Gmax, not sure if it is still available though. There is also Maya Personal Learning Edition which is free, but like Gmax I think it is fairly limited compared to the full versions.

There are trials for the newest versions of Max and Maya which you can get from the AutoDesk website.

Few pieces for a Uni module last semester, marks were heavily weighted, if not fully based on the lighting in the scene, hence the naff modelling in places :p

Caustics.jpg

OutdoorSummer.jpg

IndoorNight.jpg

I tend to prefer object modelling and animation than realistic scenes though, have recently done a lot of stuff under nintendo DS / Sony PSP restrictions: *complete with my name and uni student number lol*

starscream.jpg

CaptainAmerica.jpg

Also have this:

finalrender1.png

Got loads of other work, but so much of it isn't completely finished to a level I'm happy with.

Some nice stuff in this thread though.

GSXRMoviestar, what game is that on the second arcade machine, the top down shooter?

Associate
OP
for any of you who really want to get into this type of stuff I would definately recommend 'Silo' http://www.nevercenter.com/

Its very easy to use and you can get great results - also its very cheap compared to most other 3D packages! You can also download it for free from their website and it stays fully functional for 30 days, after that it reduces to the learning version which is just as good to use.

Back
Top Bottom