• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 285 simulated review (GTX 280 clocked to 285 speeds)

Soldato
LOL what a load of crockery, the inards of the x2 aren't exactly comparable to the inards or the nv top line card are they. Foolish to even think they are.

Doesn't need a crossfire board

Is a single PCI-E slot design

It is comparable to the 280 (not speed wise, but in hardware comparisons)

ZOMG WHAT A CROCK!?!?!?!

Last edited:
Soldato
That comment saying more about you than anyone here seeing as both sides are as bad as each other & you become they very thing your calling others by pointing out a particular side with out any reasoned argument as to why ;)

By very definition a fanboy cannot be reasoned with (as this thread illustrates beutifully). Put your GCSE psychology book away lad.

Soldato
By very definition a fanboy cannot be reasoned with (as this thread illustrates beutifully). Put your GCSE psychology book away lad.

Yet you put no reason forward your self & can not see that both sides are as bad as each other but you call one side names because they have no reasoned argument to favour the brand in your eyes.
If you want people to take your comments as more than just name calling then you have to put more forwards than just name calling or say nothing at all as such comments make you look just as bad as the people your calling names because they have no reason in your eye & nether do you because you stated no reason your self & by looking at your contribution to this thread your just as incapable of being reasoned with by your own standards.

Last edited:
Soldato
So the innard have to be the same to provide a valid comparison? Let us just summarize this in easy-to-rea dlanguage for those of the minority here that think they know better than professional reviewers, and seem to lack some basic common sense:

1) The ATI X2 4870 is ATI's fastest available enthusiast card in production, and is marketed as a single card despite it's dual core architecture.
2) The GTX 280 is NV's fastest available enthusiast card, they have nothing faster as yet.

ZOMG, reviewers are comparing the two fastest available cards from both manufacturers! That doesn't make sense... does it?

Jesus wept, what's wrong with some of you people, it's not rocket science. The only people I see having a problem with it are those with bias towards NV. ANyone else with half a brain and some objectivity knows it's as valid a comparison as any. The future will be multi-core GPU's acting as one card... ATI just got there first. It really is that simple.

Richdog telling it like it is :cool:

And CUDA....

wheres ati's version of cuda ? /fail

It's called Stream, look into it you might learn something :)

Cuda only benefits most people at the moment who want Physx and reasonably decent video encoding.

Last edited:
Associate
One thing we have we all have to be pleased about is that Nvidia has competition. Without ATI keeping them on their toes and vice versa, they could charge a lot more than they are now. Monopolies are really bad for the consumer as we all know, so long live the red AND the blue(green) corner. May they slug it out for many more years to come:)

Associate
Yeah i am such an Ati fanboy that this is my first Ati card since the xpert@play series :rolleyes:. I do like how having 2 gpu's on a single pcb means the X2 can be slated left right and centre and said to be an unfair comparison to single gpu cards but it is ok for nvidia to slap two pcb's together and thats fine.

Being honest i couldn't care less who makes the best card for me as long as it is the best in the past that has been nvidia now it is Ati so if that makes me a fanboy fair enough whatever. Also i had more trouble with nvidia drivers in the past averaging 6-8 bsod's a week when i used both chipset and gfx drivers down to 1 every now and again now that i have an intel chipset and ati card not sure why one is performing better on my system then the other but thats the fact for me.

I accept for others it will be the other way round which is why i find basing a purchasing choice purely on drivers as some have done a bit funny they both make drivers that are sometimes very good and sometimes very bad i am sure before long i will update to a ati driver that is complete crap.

Point i was trying to make was that i hoped nvidia would be trying new alternatives rather then going for the same old solution to advance things which i didn't think was that unreasonable and certainly didn't think it made me a fanboy but then this is OcUK gfx card forums so i should have known better.

Caporegime
I'll be skipping this generation.

I'm not upgrading from GTX 280 to GTX 285 (unless I can get a good deal ;)) as it's more of a sidestep and I'm reluctant to touch a multi-GPU card for obvious reasons, so that rules the GTX295 out. :p

Caporegime
OP
Well yeah, if you want a 285 just do what these guys have done and overclock your 280, won't matter that its got 280 on the heatsink and reported as that in the drivers, as end of the day you'll have a 285, just on a 65nm process instead. :p

Soldato
It was OK to compare the Rage Fury MAXX against the GeForce 256, it was OK to compare the GeForce 2, Radeon 256 and Voodoo 5 5500 against each other.

Therefore it must be OK to compare the 4870X2 against the GTX280. The price is what matters, not the underlying technology. As long as it works and is priced well, it's up for testing.

Caporegime
Wonder why this has the name "GTX285", up untll now these gaffer taped jobs have always been named GX2. So thats GTX260 GTX280 and now GTX285.

:confused:

Why are naming conventions always a source of trouble for billion dollar companies? They put one in place and then change it then again and again. what was wrong with gts, gt, gtx and gx2?

Soldato
Point i was trying to make was that i hoped nvidia would be trying new alternatives rather then going for the same old solution to advance things which i didn't think was that unreasonable and certainly didn't think it made me a fanboy but then this is OcUK gfx card forums so i should have known better.

'Innovation' can only happen with new releases of DX. Any features not in DX will barely get any use (like the various forms of tesselation in the Radeons).

Sure you can go down different paths with the hardware, but ultimately the end-user is isolated from this. Both SLI and CrossFire are a complete joke, little more than brute-force solutions requiring driver hacks which results in the requisite bugs, issues and (sometimes / often?) poor user experience. NV GX2 and ATI X2 series are imho hack solutions to brute-force FPS figures in benchmarks to sell cards and gain a halo product.

Caporegime
OP
Wonder why this has the name "GTX285", up untll now these gaffer taped jobs have always been named GX2. So thats GTX260 GTX280 and now GTX285.

:confused:

This isn't the 'gaffer taped job', thats the GTX 295 (still not GX2 for some reason), the 285 is just an overclocked 280 on a smaller process.

Last edited:
Soldato
'Innovation' can only happen with new releases of DX. Any features not in DX will barely get any use (like the various forms of tesselation in the Radeons).

Sure you can go down different paths with the hardware, but ultimately the end-user is isolated from this. Both SLI and CrossFire are a complete joke, little more than brute-force solutions requiring driver hacks which results in the requisite bugs, issues and (sometimes / often?) poor user experience. NV GX2 and ATI X2 series are imho hack solutions to brute-force FPS figures in benchmarks to sell cards and gain a halo product.

My X2 has been amazing, I don't need any driver hacks and it's far from a "poor user experience". The problems people seem to have stem from earlier driver releases but I've never had 1 problem with my X2!

The X2 is a better attempt at dual GPUs than the GX2 IMO.

Soldato
My X2 has been amazing, I don't need any driver hacks and it's far from a "poor user experience". The problems people seem to have stem from earlier driver releases but I've never had 1 problem with my X2!

The X2 is a better attempt at dual GPUs than the GX2 IMO.

The X2 is a more elegant design that's easier to cool & easier to water cool as the price of the GX2 blocks cost more on avg, also the X2 does not need to have downclocked parts in comparison to its single core brother.

Back
Top Bottom