Does horizontal web design.. work?

Soldato
I just came across this site
http://massiveblack.com/
The first thing you see is a wide logo.
Click Projects
You are now presented with a showcase running horizontally rather than the traditional vertical. The navigation is also present on both sides of the content.

Is it just me or is there something quite pleasant about this?
...I feel less in a rush to scroll through the content.. I eye each image individually because it scrolls past.. somewhat like if you were walking along an art gallery.

What do you think?

Associate
I like using my scrollwheel, so any site that forces me to use a toolbar is annoying. It can also be hard to figure out where something starts and ends on horizontal sites.

Soldato
I did a horizontal scroll site for a friend recently. We worked together on how the horizontal stuff would work and I really love how it came out.

www.younggogetter.co.uk

I'm sorry is this site slightly broken or is the following how it's meant to work?

Right so I've click Web and it's expanded with one site, after clicking on that to shrink it, a new website has now appeared. And for instance, when I click Britfilms and then close it, Whisper has now appeared.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
I'm sorry is this site slightly broken or is the following how it's meant to work?

Right so I've click Web and it's expanded with one site, after clicking on that to shrink it, a new website has now appeared. And for instance, when I click Britfilms and then close it, Whisper has now appeared.

What browser are you using? It should go:

Click to open one
All of it and the next thumbnail comes out.
You can either close it or open the next one, or open another section entirely to close off the one you were currently viewing and start on a new one.

Soldato
What browser are you using? It should go:

Click to open one
All of it and the next thumbnail comes out.
You can either close it or open the next one, or open another section entirely to close off the one you were currently viewing and start on a new one.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.5.

If I open 'Prints' I get 'Gas Mask' and 'Anarchy Girl'. Gas Mask being the first one is expended, Anarchy Girl is just the thumbnail. When I open Anarchy the next thumbnail then appears, 'Summer Show 08'.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Yeah, that's how you know that there's more content to look at. When you're at the last one open, you don't get the next thumbnail.

No disrespect to you, but I do find it weird how some people find it very difficult to adjust their way of thinking to a horizontal website. We mulled the way it all works over for ages and this is the best method we could think of to get all the content and navigation in.

Out of interest, how would you have it work?

Soldato
It's not that I don't like the design lol, I was just expecting it to show all the thumbnails within each section at once, that's all :)

Sic

Sic

Soldato
I wasn't getting touchy - I'm just interested in how people expect sites like this to work. I don't normally do brochurey sites, so it's quite good to get some feedback on how people expect them to work if they're not intuitive straight away.

Soldato
Not a fan of the horizontal scrolling personally, but I can tell a lot of thought and work has gone into these sites!

Good job! :)

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I did a horizontal scroll site for a friend recently. We worked together on how the horizontal stuff would work and I really love how it came out.

www.younggogetter.co.uk

Would be a lot better if there were a way, when say scrolling through things in each section, that you could close it without having to press the back button repeatedly.

Otherwise love it

Sic

Sic

Soldato
The current open heading closes when you open another one, if that's what you mean? Or do you mean to just completely close any one whenever you want? The guy who owns it is always looking for ways to line my pocket, so I'm all for feedback ;)

Thanks very much :)

Why do horizontal when you can do vertical?

it's something a bit different, and you really have to think about how everything works from a totally different perspective. Having done one, I love to see how people have attacked the problem and what they've come up with. I can totally see how they'd be annoying from an end-user who just wants to look at the site's point of view though!

Back
Top Bottom