Cheap replacement for an 05 320D?

Associate
So I've had 2 320D SE's for the past 6 years.Great cars, never had a problem with either. Previous one was a 52 reg, the current one is 05. Both automatics.

Credit crunch and recent job change are forcing me to ditch the bimmer, return it to BMW finance and find a cheap replacement. I've got only 2K max to spend on that replacement..:mad:

I'm only doing 12 miles a day commuting in the city (on the A406 in London), mostly in queues. so I'm after a comfortable, quiet and reliable car. Needs to have decent spec but nothing special. It needs to be reliable as well with as less hassle as poss to repair...

I've read some of the treads and it seems as the majority see a mondeo as a good and reliable cheap saloon. I havent driven one, so I intend to find and test drive it, but what are the other options? From autotrader and ebay, I came up with the following list of possibilities?

Accord
S60
S-Type
Avensis
Mondeo

Any comments about these? What would you guys recommend? What I don't want is a car that every time I'll get in it, I'll think "my life is **** now and I need to drive this piece of c*** instead of the 320 I had before"

No swearing
Cheers,
NC.

Soldato
S60s are a nice relaxed ride. S-Types are supposed to be poor but the 3.0V6 is a resonable waftmobile imho.

Others will be cheaper to run but not as nice imho

Soldato
If you want one from that list that won't make you feel like your life is crap then get the Jag, in many ways it's much nicer than an SE 3 series tbh, it will be an upgrade.

Associate
If you want one from that list that won't make you feel like your life is crap then get the Jag, in many ways it's much nicer than an SE 3 series tbh, it will be an upgrade.

i'm driving a 2.5v6 s type at the moment does a 10 mile commute in and 10 miles out all london town driving. It's so smooth, comfortable and relaxing and the cabin is a nice place to be.

If you can get a decent one with leather in your price range, get it.

Man of Honour
The fact you are trying to economise and can only find £2k for a car suggests an S-Type is probably not sensible. Bite the bullet, get the Mondeo.

Associate
OP
2k budget and no money? How much money can you budget per month for running costs?

I will obviouslly have to insure the car and factor in the cost of petrol. What I'm trying to get rid of is the lease cost of around 350 a month.

Associate
OP
i'm driving a 2.5v6 s type at the moment does a 10 mile commute in and 10 miles out all london town driving. It's so smooth, comfortable and relaxing and the cabin is a nice place to be.

If you can get a decent one with leather in your price range, get it.

Noticed quite a few V6s in autotrader last night. all are well-equipped and with more or less 100k miles. My only concern is that when one these go wrong it's quite a hefty cost to repair. am I correct?

Associate
Noticed quite a few V6s in autotrader last night. all are well-equipped and with more or less 100k miles. My only concern is that when one these go wrong it's quite a hefty cost to repair. am I correct?

well yes... parts and labour costs are pretty much only second to merc... but they are pretty reliable, at least the '05 i'm using is and parkers report no major problems. Make sure it has a full service history. I do have to say fuel economy in town is about 25mpg at best, and i have a light foot (but you can drive a jag any other way...its soo smooth).

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;13227241 said:
A £2k Jag is swapping lease costs for repair costs.

Sorry, not sure I understand that... currently it's 350 lease plus whatever running costs for insurance, diesel and possible service\repair. You saying that if I go for a 2K Jag It'll be those and more?

Permabanned
How well do you know cars? if you have some knowledge, have a wander down to a local auction, Older Merc C and E classes are quite cheap now, bit of a pimp image, but still damn good cars, not as fun to drive as a 3'er tho. But lets face it, you only have 2k to play with. £1500 should get you a 2000 model C200 or similar, £2k will get you a large engined E class, on a 99-00 MY.Older Accords arent much cop tbh, well not pre 98 anyway, you can get older A4's and Passhats for this kind of money.

The VFM option is the Mondeo tho, closely followed by the 75.

Associate
OP
How well do you know cars? if you have some knowledge, have a wander down to a local auction, Older Merc C and E classes are quite cheap now, bit of a pimp image, but still damn good cars, not as fun to drive as a 3'er tho. But lets face it, you only have 2k to play with. £1500 should get you a 2000 model C200 or similar, £2k will get you a large engined E class, on a 99-00 MY.Older Accords arent much cop tbh, well not pre 98 anyway, you can get older A4's and Passhats for this kind of money.

The VFM option is the Mondeo tho, closely followed by the 75.

Unfortunately not enough to be confident of choosing the right one in an auction, as that is a great idea!

Also, I've never bought a 100K miles car before, so wouldnt know what to expect and what to look for in the SH, even if it was a full main dealer one.

I take the point about old passats and A4s, but if it's pre-98 I think those are too old - agree?

Which mondeo model should I go for? is it the zetec engine that's important? which trim level is comparable to the SE on the BMW?

Back
Top Bottom