• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Phenom II 920/940 Review/Overclocking Thread **

Associate
No, it's drivel.

I mean, he's implying that S775 chips won't work fine when the mainstream i7 stuff is released. That's just rubbish.

The stuff he claims about AM3 may be true, may not be true. There's no way of knowing what he claims unless he works for AMD, in which case he's probably break some NDA. So yeah, AMD fanboy drivel strike two.

And lastly, you can get a £80 S775 motherboard and a £70 CPU from Intel and hit 4Ghz on air today. So he's saying you'll be able to spend an extra £40 in 6 months and get exactly the same thing. Drivel strike three.

I don't understand the point of this by AMD. Surely it would have made better fiscal sense to release the entire platform as new, rather than releasing two relatively subpar processors at ridiculous price points for an old platform, and then move to a new one.

Last edited:
Associate
Dont think he's saying it wont work, he's saying itll be cheaper due to the release of cheaper i7, which is true, just like anything else coming in mid-high level, it pushes anything equal or cheaper to, further down the pecking order making it cheaper.

Whens he's talking about £70 CPU, I would assume its in relation to Q6600 etc ...

But fully agree with the S775 Mobo's @ £70 ...

Caporegime
AMD should be focusing entirely on price/performance. I'm not alone in not really caring if these new Ph2 chips can outperform a less expensive Intel setup, if the Intel platform is better value for money.

Associate
bought.gif

I'll be able to shut the lid on this can 'o worms tomorrow when it arrives :D

Associate
It'd suck but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm trusting what I saw the official AMD press release say, that the 940 is the BE and there isn't another one out yet :) If I'm wrong then hey, it won't be something that'll bother me too much.

Anything is better than my socket 939 X2 4200 and my X1900 :D

Soldato
And lastly, you can get a £80 S775 motherboard and a £70 CPU from Intel and hit 4Ghz on air today. So he's saying you'll be able to spend an extra £40 in 6 months and get exactly the same thing. Drivel strike three.

Find me an Intel Quad atm that can hit 4ghz on air for £70.

Associate
tbh unless your already a amd user, id go for the q9550. practically same price and better.

phenom 2 940 should have been selling for like 100-150 not 250 -.-

and the phenom 2 920 sucks :rolleyes:

Soldato
It sucks, why exactly?

Do you frequent other forums where people are clocking and benching these things in the real world, where people and beating Intel clock for clock and then some? If not, I suggest you open your eyes.

Associate
It sucks, why exactly?

Do you frequent other forums where people are clocking and benching these things in the real world, where people and beating Intel clock for clock and then some? If not, I suggest you open your eyes.

the price on the phenom 2 920 sucks.

Associate
I think the new chip is fantastic. I notice toms hardware made it a recommended buy which is good enough for me! All this fan boyism and negative remarks is pretty sad stuff. I know i will be buying the black edition of this :)

Associate
Hmmm, what were the ln2 boys getting out of them? 6GHz? Be well interesting if they respond well to a bit of Vapo cooling, I'd prolly wait for the next socket and have a dabble. And why not? It's cool to have the choice :cool:

Soldato
I believe it's a black edition because...

I've never heard of a non-BE 940 and I've been following developments closely.
The picture of the box at OcUK reads Black Edition.
Nobody else in the world has more than one 940 type for sale, and they all show Black Edition boxes. No pictures of non-Black Edition.
Every single list of processors includes the 940 BE but a non-BE is not mentioned.

It's a black edition :p

Soldato
Are the models named 920, 940 etc because they are comparable to i7s?

That's got to be the intention. They are very comparable to i7s. However they don't compare very well :p

They compare very well with C2Qs, and -perhaps- just perhaps with a new chipset based on DDR3 they may compare with i7s.

I'd like to think AMD didn't just name them after i7s with no idea on real performance against them. It'd be more reassuring if when the new Dragon platform arrived they could compete with i7. They're not far off at the moment, but naming them after i7 models is not an accurate assessment of their performance.

Back
Top Bottom