Whats this Purple Circle?

Associate
What's this Purple Circle in the centre of this pic? And how can I stop it? I'm guessing its some kind of reflection within the lens.

There are also some purple dot in the top left area of the photo.

Taken with Canon 400d 17-55 Kit lens F5.6 for 8 Seconds

IMG_2936.jpg

Associate
It's lens flare, it often turns up in sunlight.
I would guess it was caused by the headlamp, if you took the shot again I would use sidelights only, the camera would also meter the picture more accurately without points of bright light therefore setting itself a longer shutter speed (or you could set it yourself) and getting more detail from the side of the car, it would still appear to have bright headlamps under these circumstances so the essential composition wouldn't be lost.
A lens hood may help but they are normally more effective when the light source is off to one side (like the sun).

Last edited:
Associate
In short, flare. Some external light source corruping the image.

Some lenses are more susceptible than others, you can also get these kind of artefacts from reflection within a filter. I was taking some photos earlier where a bright lampost was just out of shot and i managed to get rid of 99% of the artefacts by taking the UV filter off

Associate
OP
It was re-sized in Microsoft Photo editor :eek: Need to get elements reinstalled asap!

That's why it looks Ghetto, The original is much better quality.

I'm pretty sure there was nothing under the car other than gravel.

Soldato
Definitely flare.
Easy way to tell is to draw a line accross the image through the centre of the photo and the centre point of the flare, the light source will also lie on that line, which your offside headlight does. Not that it's difficult to spot flare most of the time but if you have lots of sources it'll tell you which one it is :)

Back
Top Bottom