Best way to give someone a lump sum of cash?

Associate
One of those big cheques that they give lottery winners!

I've wondered that, say you won the £50m last night on the lottery and wanted to give £1m to a friend or whatever, how would you go about it? Cheque? I imagine you would not be able to bank transfer that much?

Do you have to pay tax on it or anything?

Not that I've ever won anything just curious :)

Soldato
I've wondered that, say you won the £50m last night on the lottery and wanted to give £1m to a friend or whatever, how would you go about it? Cheque? I imagine you would not be able to bank transfer that much?

Do you have to pay tax on it or anything?

Not that I've ever won anything just curious :)

Do you have to pay tax on lottery wins? No.

Associate
Do you have to pay tax on lottery wins? No.

The person you're giving a gift to may have to though? I seem to remember there's a tax on giving money as a gift once it gets over a certain amount. Can't remember where I heard that though, may not be true.

Soldato
wow didnt realise how ridiculous GD had become. My bad for actually asking a serious question. While I can make my own judgement call on what the right decision is, I just wanted a second opinion not idiocy.

The question is just as stupid as the replys.

Oh nos how do i gif someone monies.

Er hand it to them in cash or transfer it to their bank? How hard can it be?

Associate
Id be tempted to mix it up a bit, a couple of cheques or cheque and some cash.
If they put to much in their bank account in one go they may have to pay income tax on it.

As for the person who asked if you pay tax on a Lottery win, no the person who wins doesn't but if they give the money to some one else they do, this is the reason why if your in a syndicate they tell you to make sure all members of the syndicate are named when collecting the money.

Soldato
lol, the OP seems to be asking what the best way to physically hand over the money is.

But almost all the answers are about how to dodge tax.

What actually is the point where Capital Gains becomes an issue?

Back
Top Bottom